Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Forgive my stupid question, but what exactly does the G5 have for audio? Does it have a PCI sound card installed or on board audio? What is the quality of the sound card/on-board sound? If I purchase a G5 should I be concerned about the audio, and look into buying a Audigy2 or something along those lines to beef it up?

Also, can I just plug normal speakers into it? I heard that Apple Pro Speakers will not work, so exactly what type of connection do they have that makes them incompatible?

Lastly, if I wanted to connect a G5 to my stereo receiver, etc., what all do I need to know or need to have in order to accomplish this?

Again, sorry for the stupid questions, but I don’t know too much when it comes to audio and Macs!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Scott

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
I think it has digital audio in and out. Apple has some 5.1 speaker systems for sale for it on their website, so I would think that hooking it up to your stereo would be no problem

tyson12zoll

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2003
Had my dual 2 g5 for a week now. I'm using the optical 5.1 out to a set of Logitec z-680s. The sound is incredible. There is also analog stereo in and out in the back and stereo out in the front (mini jack). You could hook your G5 up to just about any stereo using a coaxial to stereo mini plug adapter (Y cable?). The digital out is the way to go though if your receiver can handle it...much better sig/noise ratio. I can DEFINITELY hear a difference between my 680s analog to my PB and digital to my G5. Just make sure your receiver has digital in.
Those fiber optic cables are so cool...a little red light comming from my digital out when you open up the protective cover. I have no idea how it works but it looks tech as ****! Sounds NICE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.