Audiobook Track Titles Changed to 'Chapter X' on iPhone 4...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PaulMoore, Jan 8, 2011.

1. PaulMoore macrumors regular

When I rip an Audiobook CD, classify it in iTunes as an Audiobook and then sync to my iPhone it completely ignores the individual track names (useful if it is a book of short stories) and renames them (on the iPhone) as 'Chapter 1' through however many tracks... is there any way of maintaining the track names but also having it in Audiobook format (which has the useful 30 sec rewind and variable playing speed)?

The track names still display in iTunes on my iMac but on the iPhone they are gone.

I have an iPhone 4 with the latest iOS and an iMac with the latest update of Snow Leopard and iTunes 10.1.1.

Thanks!

2. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I rip a lot of audiobooks as well. So I understand what you are saying.
    iTunes obtains all of its information from the file header. If you go into each track under the "Get Info" option (right click the file in itunes), you'll see all of your options.
    Look in there for chapter information.

On a side note, what I do for each ripped CD, I convert the .mp3 over to .m4b which work great with iTunes and the iPhone/iPod Touch.
    Its a free app called, get this, Audiobook Converter. haha
    I'm not affiliated with it, but I've used it so much its a great tool to have for audiobooks and the iPhone.
    Audiobook Converter
    Its for Windows though.

3. PaulMoore thread starter macrumors regular

I don't understand your reply. There does not seem to be an option to get an iPhone to display the track names instead of simply numbered chapters.

That is what I am trying to find a way of doing- having it in audiobook format but preserving the individual track names on the iPhone. Anyone know how?

4. PimpNinja7 macrumors newbie

I just did this and it works. For each track, right click and select 'get info'. Click on the tab that says 'sorting'. On the left you will see a box that says 'name', and on the right a box labeled 'sort name'. Change the sort name of the first track to A, the next track B and so on. If the track is one of several that make up a chapter, name it Aa. Name the next Ab and continue. The next chapter would be Ba, Bb, Bc, and so on. Once you have labeled all of the tracks so that the track listing orders the same as the alphabetized sort names, remove the track numbers. This will allow the titles of each track to show up on your device, while still retaining proper order. You may want to preface each track title with something like 'Ch1Part1' if the titles are long.