Audited by ATT via text because of illegal data plan on iphone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aneftp, Sep 18, 2008.

1. aneftp macrumors 601

Appears that ATT is sending out text messages to iPhone 3g owners who are on illegal data plans.

I'm interested in hearing from others who also got the audited ATT text message within the past 3 years.

My wife was on the $20 iphone (original data plan) and she has the ATT SIM in the iphone 3g 100% of the time. She got the att audit text message.

However, I am on the $15 medianet data plan also on the iphone 3g. I have not received any ATT audit text message. Maybe it's because I only use the iphone 3g 2-3 days out of the week while the rest of the time I am using an unbranded unlocked Nokia E71-2 phone.

So are those of you who are getting audited on the $20 (iphone+ 200 SMS) plan and/or the $15 medianet plan. What about those on the $30 blackberry data plan using the iphone 3g?

2. The General macrumors 601

Yeah, that's what happens when you violate the terms of service that you agree too. Should have read your contract more carefully before you tried to save a couple bucks.

3. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

This is a duplicate post, you're not alone. Do you really think AT&T is stupid or non-profit?

4. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

That's me. I got a text too. Forgot what it said now though.

5. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

So what does AT&T do? Do they remove your plan and add the iPhone 3g plan automatically?

6. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I use a non-iPhone AT&T sim card in my iPhone 3G, and they added the iPhone 3G data plan to my account within several days of use. All the other account options such as texting have also been switched to iPhone-labeled options.

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

That's what I told some idiot that thinks he can remove data plan. AT&T is not some mom and pop shop, and I am sure they probably monitor blogs for the latest fashion on ripping them off.

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

They do, and it's not hard to check an IMEI and see what data is being used on it with what plans.

I suspect that this is happening because the iPhone 3G plans are not labeled internally as MEdiaNet as the iPhone 2G's were. I suppose this is why they haven't come after me with what I'm doing.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

10. milani macrumors 68000

milani

That's kind of a yes and no question, isn't it? :D

11. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

I have no data plan, and they have never said a word to me.

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Congratulation, let me find a medal for you.

13. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

I have the $45 blackberry plan, and I haven't gotten the "audit" text yet. Not sure I will, as I think AT&T makes more off a $45 BB plan (even after paying RIM) than they do from a $30 iPhone plan.

14. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

There's lots of things they *could* do. Including cancelling your contract (and thus service) and charging you the early termination fee.

15. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Haha, I am not trying to brag about it. Many people have been able to cancel their data plans just by asking nicely, even on the 3g.

16. peety macrumors newbie

no they are the large corporation you are bending over for.:eek:

17. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Oh sorry, I must have missed the part where they told me that $30 data plan is required. Ok, now I feel the need to find the loophole to recover $10.

They'll cancel it, and then add it back on. That's what we are trying to tell you.

18. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

I recieved it too a few days ago. oh well I dont care if they change me to the correct one. Just as long as they dont remove it and make me ppu data :eek:

19. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Even most idiots and nonprofits don't take well to fraud.

20. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

damn true.

21. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

22. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

You holier-than-thou kids saying "you shouldn't be surprised" should really chill out.

Nothing wrong with trying to save $15/month.

And I imagine it's just a blanket email. I'm going to wait it out and see if they do anything. My original iPhone data plan is still on both lines, so I'm not too worried about the random spam they sent out.

You can always claim ignorance if they try and pull something.

Worst case scenario? You get disconnected and sell your iPhone 3G's on eBay for a mighty profit.

23. Nukey macrumors member

I doubt they're going to cancel anyone's account. It's more likely that they'll just scare people in to getting the data plan :)

24. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

There is something wrong with it when you signed a contract saying you'd pay. Maybe I am one of these so-called "holier-than-thou kids" you speak of, but I prefer to think of myself as a person with integrity. AT&T made it clear what was expected/required of those purchasing the iPhone 3G, if you didn't like the terms you shouldn't have signed the contract.

25. impact_blue macrumors regular

Wonder if this applies to the thousands of people adding that 1500 SMS for $8.99.