Auf Wiedersehen, Wurst! Germans resist removing pork from menu to avoid offending Muslims

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Mar 7, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Well, maybe if Angela spent less time worrying about Donald Trump and more time worrying about stuffing her face with sausage...oh, what's the use?

2. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

The pork wars.. Let the pigs loose!

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Meh, their country , they can do as they wish

4. APlotdevice, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

And once again Jews get completely ignored, despite having similar dietary requirements.

5. FieldingMellish Suspended

If you think pork will be a problem, the wurst is yet to come.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

HOW are they being ignored if the diets are similar?

7. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Germans if anyone should be kowtowing to every Jews wants and desires.

8. APlotdevice, Mar 7, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Because they are never mentioned in these articles. This aversion to pork is always presented as a Muslim thing.

And then there's that second paragraph in the OP:
    "German Chancellor Angela Merkel's party is campaigning to make pork mandatory in public canteens after sausages and bacon were removed 'to prevent offending Muslims.'"

I would imagine that at least one or two canteens in Germany are run by Jews.

9. Oudinot macrumors regular

Oudinot

Pork wasn't removed to prevent offending Jews, just Muslims so I fail to understand your point.

10. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Their reaction is to try to make it mandatory.

11. cfedu, Mar 7, 2016

cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

I think that it's because jews don't try to change the society where they move to, whereas muslims do. I grew up in a very jewish neighbourhood in Montreal and most of the students in my Public high school were jewish. The cafeteria, had pork and there was very little accommodation for the jewish population. The school did accommodate the students during the high holidays by not teaching new material, but that was because the majority of the students were absent those days. 30 years later a lot of the daycares in Montreal will not serve pork to accommodate the muslim population. Jews never asked for these accommodations in my city, if they wanted to have kosher food, they made their own institutions, like the Montreal Jewish General Hospital. Everyone is welcome at the Jewish General and they serve kosher food to all, what the jews did not do was to lobby for everyone to change for their sake.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

This ironically this is one of the biggest statements echoed by anti-Semites for centuries. I'm sure if you googled "Jewification of America" you would find hundreds of posts whatever that White Supremacist website is... Stormfront. Ask the Haridim (ultra Orthodox Jews) in Brooklyn how they feel about women jogging or biking in spandex down their streets.

If you don't eat pork, don't eat the pork or at the serving restaurants. I don't think you can label cultural facits as offensive when you are a newcomer to that culture. If it is a heinous atrocity to call America a "melting pot" and "destroy" immigrants culture, then certainly the opposite is true, right? How about peaceful coexistence and the reasonable and logical expectation that being a minority makes you have to put up with

I'm Jewish, I don't eat Kosher per say, but I don't eat pork. I'm not going to run the Restuarants out of town for serving pork... Or non-kosher food. . Just like the Hindus aren't burning down steakhouses. Im not going to ban people from wishing me Merry Christmas or putting Christmas lights on their house. I'm not going no to tell a Muslim man he needs to shave his beard because it's unprofessional or remove his turban during the pledge of allegiance.

Jeeze. What is the world coming to. I'd be curious to know how many German Muslims actually think this is a reasonable idea or if this is just some crazy idea to promote ethnoreligious intolerance.

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

It is close to impossible to follow a kosher diet in germany and pork would be the least of your worries.

14. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

Judaism has not been a religion of conquest for thousands of years (besides zionism which is a little different). Diaspora Jews have never wanted to shake things up. Islam has always been a religion of conquest from its inception and are more vocal in converting people. The bigger problem is not Islam IMO but rather the people on the regressive left who try to do everything imaginable to accommodate them.

If you a traditionalist and want to keep serving pork, these same people from the left will call an islamophobic. We should all be open to new ideas, but the people being invited in have a duty be open to new ideas as well. For me personally I will accommodate people if they have requests, if a customer asks for a vegan meal on a charter flight, I will get them a vegan meal. If a customer demands I stop providing meals that have meat to everyone, that is where I put my foot down. The same would also go for schools, if a jewish group or muslim group demanded I stop providing all pork products, I would make a policy to only provide pork products.

If a christian group demanded I stopped teaching parts of islamic theology in religion class or evolution in science class, I would double down on the amount i spend on those subjects.

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

My point is the Jews have been deamonized as invading countries and taking over (usually financially), for example, the stereotype/archetypical "parasitic" or "tentacle" Jew Propoganda of WWII. It's very easy to demonize a group by claiming they are invading your country and taking it over.

Most Muslims I know, some very observant, follow their own traditions within the greater culture of America. Same with very observant Jews. You cannot expect society to completely bend to your way of life when you already have existing options. Typically, these religions promote an exclusivity self-righteousness (I don't mean that in a deragatory way)- in the sense that they are following the rules most of society will not and they will be rewarded. Religious extremism in an direction is generally the only issue with coexistence of religions in my opinion- which includes forcing one's religious beliefs upon others.

No one is forcing pork down anyone's throat in Germany as far as I know. I too believe in reasonable accommodation aka within reason. If a Muslim or Jewish prisoner wants to eat Halal or Kosher respectively, it's more than reasonable to accomodate them. If you think pork products should be banned from Restuarants, that's not reasonable. Don't order pork or eat at a different Restuarant.

The thing about Halal food, like Kosher food, the meat must be slaughtered in a specific way. Additionally, Halal food cannot be cooked with alcohol, even if it burns off. Furthermore, dishes and utensils must not be contaminated. I believe in some sects of Islam, Muslims are not supposed to eat meat slaughtered (or food prepared) by non-Muslims. If Restuarants are supposed to become Halal all of a sudden, there are a lot more factors than just not eating pork. German restaurants would have to stop serving alcohol too.

16. FieldingMellish Suspended

Agree with Goldberg. My take. Pork predated a migrant's arrival. It's up to a Muslim to pass it on by and not buy it for their house, same as it should be for a Muslim to pass a woman on by and not subjugate her and rape her.

17. vrDrew, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016

vrDrew macrumors 65816

I think we have a triple-stacked portion of garbage here.

1) Russia Today. Really? At this stage, citing Russia Today as a source is like painting the words "Vladimir Putin's Useful Idiot" on your forehead.

2) "after some reportedly removed the meat to avoid offending Muslims." I don't really care whether or not pork is on the menu. But Russia Today seems to delight in serving up steaming helpings of weasel.

[​IMG] No weasel for me, thanks.

Who removed pork from menus? List a couple of restaurants, cafeterias, bistros, or bier stube that have done that. Quote a couple of executive chefs or restaurant owners who claim placating their Muslim customers was the reason. Because, otherwise, we might think you're making the whole thing up.

3) And three: "Old Europe should spend their time worrying about their problems."

Which makes me wonder wonder why Americans are supposed to spend any time at all worrying about an Old European problem that doesn't actually exist.

18. sim667 macrumors 65816

However, you're addressing it like its been banned because of the Muslim migrants in Germany.... It hasn't, some places have decided not to sell it......

Read the articles properly.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I guess I can cross Germany and Sweden off the bucket list. If I can't pee sitting down while shoveling some bacon in my mouth, why would I want to visit?

20. FieldingMellish Suspended

All I read was Arrovan's into: ..."after some reportedly removed the meat to avoid offending Muslims." And it might be a good idea, because we wouldn't want them to go on a terror binge over it.

21. aaronvan, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016

aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I agree that for the most part RT is a joke, a Siberian exile for liberal talkers: i.e. Larry King, Ed Schultz, Thom Hartman, who all failed elsewhere and ended up begging for crumbs on RT.

However, RT does have as guests noted intellectuals: Lawrence Korb, Dr. Stephen Cohen of Princeton, and Nation editor Katrina van den Heuvel to mention a few.

22. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Yes, and Stephen Hawking could write a guest column in the Weekly World News. But that still doesn't make Bat Boy any more plausible.

[​IMG]

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

They used to be a occasional source of alternative information but they're just propaganda non-stop now.

25. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Reminds me the Bush years when my liberal friends would literally gush over Al Jazeera, "Al Jazeera is so unbiased...we need had non-corporate news like Al Jazeera...the only real news about the Iraq War come from Al Jazeera..." despite my warning that AJ is owned by the Qatar government, one of the most repressive regimes in the world. Of course, Obama took over and Al Jazeera didn't miss a beat criticizing him and my liberal friends never mentioned Al Jazeera again.