Augmented Reality on iPhone, how smart is it really? Can you walk outside of room?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Starfyre, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

With the AR capabilities on the iPhone, say if its a board game, or any game... how do the following 2 situations work?

Situation 1
    1- Say you stand in a room and you put a "board game" on your desk.
    2- If you keep your camera pointed at the board game, but slowly walk out of the room and walk to an area where there is a wall between the board game on the table and your camera's line of sight.... will it block out the board game? Or will the board game still show up on your screen unless you move back to a place where you have visibility to the table through your doorway?

The other situation I have a question about is:

Situation 2
    1) If you have a dragon friend that you set up on a table, and you walk outside the room, and down a flight of stairs, will you see the dragon actually walk out of the room and down the stairs?

I am interested to know in Situation 2 is if you can go anywhere and the dragon friend actually follows you everywhere and not just within a confined room/space.

2. swinery macrumors member

swinery

AR games wont be any good, take it from a gamer

Nobody wants to point at somethign just to play the game. So regardless of whether it works well or doesn't for games thats my answer.

Where AR will be interesting is in utilities. Pointing at the sky to see names of stars, pointing at shoes to purchase them on amazon, etc

3. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Not according to the 9.5 million daily active Pokemon Go players.

4. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

Most players turn off AR for catching Pokémon. Though I am interested to see how much better it will be once they update for ARKit (they haven’t yet, but said they will be)

5. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

some. most is a word to tilt arguments when there are not statistics to back it up.

6. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

Nah, it’s most. Go poll any Facebook group for your city. I don’t know if you play it, but the general consensus is, that the current AR mode sucks and does nothing but make it more difficult to get those excellent curveball throws.

7. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

I think you are giving too much credit to the average player. With 10s of millions of downloads I'm sure a majority leave it set to default settings. Any poll sampling to say otherwise would have to cover a broad spectrum of users including those who don't speak english like throughout South East Asia. 日本語を話せますか. I didn't think so.

8. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

You never answered if you play it. Judging by your responses, I’d wager it’s no.

AR is a simple toggle in the catch screen, and not something you have to dive into settings for. It’s current implementation of AR (and how it’s been since launch) is significantly harder to even hit the Pokémon with a ball. Not to mention, you have to hold the phone in a very specific way, be steady and keep that Pokémon in the middle of the screen while tossing the pokeball. AR off means you can hold the phone any which way you’re comfortable with at throwing the pokeballs, not have to worry where the Pokémon is on screen.

It’s simply not a feature most players use at this point in time. Especially after it’s second summer, the hype is way down, the player base is less casual. Most the players who have hung around this long, through all the content drought are more the diehard players. A majority of the casuals have long left. They’ll be back for Gen 3 though, but in usual fashion, like any video game, that won’t last long once again.

9. swinery macrumors member

swinery

Yeah I was about to say, bro Pokemon Go isn't even AR. Then I remembered it had that AR catching feature I turned off pretty quickly.

Definitely not going to be the next big thing, I'm sure of it.

10. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I think the situations I posted are testable... but Pokemon Go if it had real AR, it would be testable too!

If you find a pikachu sitting in your room, today, no matter wherever you go, the Pikachu is always the same size, and always on your screen.... if it were updated to use real AR...

Would the Pikachu sitting in your room only be visible if you walked in your room? As in, if you walked away from it, and out of your room, but the wall actually cover up the pikachu if there was a wall between where the pikachu was standing? I know the pikachu would be smaller... and the iPhone can detect flat surfaces... so is that what it would do?

11. kevmclane macrumors regular

kevmclane

I just tested situation 1 with the game Stack AR and you can still see the game’s location even in another room through the wall. The technology isn’t smart enough to detect obstacles and barriers between you and the surface you’re playing on.

However, what it is surprisingly good at is remembering the exact location in which you started playing. I could walk all the way far outside and come back and the game is still in the same spot. I can just still see it no matter where I am. That’s actually kind of cool and helpful to me as it almost makes it feel more like a video game in which I can help myself navigate back to its location by seeing it through walls.

12. Diorama macrumors 6502a

Big phones (as in 5”) won’t sell, take it from Steve Jobs.

Nobody wants a big phone that you can’t fit your hand around.

13. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

Both of your doubts are specific to games. It all depends on how the game is programmed.

14. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

This new bezel less trend is definitely going to be one of those things that didn’t work out.

15. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

So based on current apps out there like the dragon one or the tower defense one... do they work like the situations I described? I couldn’t test in the Apple store using demo units since they had a string linking them to the table....

16. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

OP,
    Your scenario will depend 100% on how well the app you are referring to is written. We have the technology today to make what you are talking about happen (AR items scale as you come closer and move farther as well as get blocked partially or fully by walls)

The reality is we won’t know how good Apple’s implementations are (or even what they are) until they show us.

17. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Your post confuses me and makes it sound like as if there are no Augmented Reality apps in the App Store? That can’t be the case I had hands on time with a cute baby Dragon VR app where you can put a dragon on the Apple store and there was a tower defense like game also that was on the devices.

There are AR apps that exist like that today right?! All I want to know is if after putting that dragon or tabletop tower defense game; if you can walk out of the room your in and if you hide behind a wall, but point your phone in the direction of where you spawned the game or the dragon if the game is still visible on your phone or is it smart enough to know the device knows there is a well and you can’t see the table?

Dragon and tower defense are just two examples..
    I don’t care about future AR apps, I just care about the apps out in the App Store today that Apple says is available for any iPhone 6S and above. Can someone help me out here? If you have an 8 or 8+ can someone install an AR app, tell me what it is they see and actually try out the situations and report what app they played with and what the behavior of that app is when you do the 2 situations in my OP?

18. vcnzo macrumors newbie

In the last demo of NightSky that we saw (on the iPhone X), stars were actually displayed between the trees and the sky. It was dope as hell and surely an avant-goût of what will be coming next.

19. Diorama, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017

Diorama macrumors 6502a

I just made you a quick video with that dragon app, leaving the room.

Persistence isn’t bad. This is on a 6S+.

Edit: haha wrong video, give me a minute!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 15, 2017 ---

20. lordofthereef, Oct 15, 2017

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I assumed your question was in relation to technology. Yes the app exists. The limit is in the coding and not the ability of the hardware. Apple hasn’t really shown us how their own AR will work, and I figured that’s what you were interested in.

The limiting factor would be the developer and not the phone, at this point. That’s all I was trying to state.

Edit: the guy above me did it in the 6s plus. There you go. That was my point. It has nothing to do with Apple’s newest phones and everything to do with how well the software is written. I’m scratching my head why you need evidence of something working on an 8 when it should work on nearly everything able to ru the latest iOS.

I guess the other reason I’m scratching my head is because you could look this up on YouTube in much less time than it has taken you to ask and then respond to questions.

21. Starfyre, Oct 15, 2017

Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

I am concerned with seeing real examples of this today. Apple has videos describing what their tech is capable of but I want to know if it works like this in practice.

I fall in the category of users that can run the latest iOS but my phone does not support ARKit that is reserved for 6S and above.

I don’t know why your scratching your head unless your are better than me at searching, but videos I’ve looked at in youtube are generally fixed in one position. No one is leaving the area they are trying out the AR and pointing their phone back at the place where the game spawned. Please share and post videos in this thread if you can find some.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I just searched for “iPhone augmented reality demo”. I think this was the third hit.

In any case don’t take my question personally. I just figured you wanted a much more in depth response than a video showing you can pan away and back to the item. These are all also testable in free apps. Do you not have access to those? Again not being critical just trying to understand why discovering for yourself wasn’t your first step in enlightenment.

23. macrumorsperson Suspended

no.

24. Starfyre thread starter macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Like I said my old device does not support AR, so I can’t test. The demoyou show with the coffee is just sitting there at the table. I want to know if that user say goes outside of the house and points the phone back at where the coffee table is, will they see he coffee suspended in front of the home where the table was? if the user gets behind a wall that partially covers up the coffee cup, would it cover it or would the cup still show in its entirety? Even more simply, could the user have moved the phone under the table along with the head and point up at the table and not see the coffee cup because the phone knows the coffee cup is on top of the table?

Videos like the one you link show things right in the room where he phone isn’t really moving around much within the confines of the space. I want to know if you can leave the confines of that room and if the world tracking and understanding of horizontal surfaces knows the wall is covering up the AR object when you walk outside of the room.

Pokémon Go is a great example of bad AR (though it doesn’t have any real AR capabilities built in) Wherever you go you point your phone in the right direction and that pikachu is there. To me, that is just not accurate and not the way AR should really work. That pikachu you see on your screen should appear smaller as you go farther away from it, if there is a trash can that you walk behind and point it at that pikachu, it’s either partially covered up or you can’t see it.

That is the kind of tests I want to see. I can’t do it in the Apple store because the phone is tied to the table. Too many AR videos show the phone right in the same general vicinity where they spawn the objects.

Show me better videos or somebody with AR supported phones please do this test!

25. iSayBoourns Suspended

iSayBoourns

You seem awfully demanding for someone who wants people to do research and testing for you.