Augusta National admits 2 women

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Aug 20, 2012.

1. mcrain, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Condoleezza Rice and Darla Moore are now members at Augusta National. Good for them, and good for the club. I wonder if either of them would be willing to take me for a round. I promise to be nice. :)

Washington Post article

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I was always in the position that it's a private club and they can do as they please when it comes to letting people in, but I am glad to see that the group of old rich white men have finally realized it's not the 1920's anymore.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

A private club that depends on its public appeal to mount one of the most watched sporting events of the year.

If Augusta National really wanted to maintain its privacy, they'd do what Cypress Point did in 1991, when pressured to admit a black member, chose to withdraw their participation in the annual Pebble Beach golf tournament.

But as you say, kudos to the club finally deciding to join the modern age.

4. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

We really can't have men's clubs anymore? You don't see a bunch of dudes trying to join curves. And dont tell me what's next: return to no blacks allowed??? We can split up the genders every now and then and let boys play with boys and girls play with girls.

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I saw nothing wrong with keeping Augusta men only but I suppose the media finally got to them.

Next thing ya know we're gonna have women on the PGA Men's tour.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

We already have women on the men's PBA tour; to the point where a woman recently beat 64 other men who won a professional title, including the PBA Player of the year in the title match to win.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Kulick

Youtube for the 2010 PBA Tournament of Champions, and you'll see the whole tournament.

Also, keep in mind that it was not until 2003-2004 that women were able to compete in the men's PBA tour; a span of 45 years.

BL.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

umm..you're talking about bowling and I'm talking about the subject here. Golf.
    ;)

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I know.

My point is that if it happened in one sport, don't think it won't happen in the one that's the subject here. :)

BL.

9. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If that ever happens I predict there would be very few women that even make the cut in a tournament.

Fact is the male golfers are stronger then female golfers.

That's why there are different tees.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Didn't Michelle Wii play in a mens tourney?

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So make golf more about accuracy and less about length.

12. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

You mean distance.

And why ?

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Golf has always been about distance and accuracy. I'm simply suggesting that changing that balance to reward accuracy as much as—if not more than—distance would allow women to play more competitively.

But I'm not calling for that. I do believe that having separate professional tours is the right way to go.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Sometimes an accurate shot takes a lot of physical strength so I don't think changing one would bolster the other.

And how do you reward accuracy and distance separately ?

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You have short par 3 holes and long par 5 holes as it is. What more do you need?

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Separately?

:confused:

Tighter fairways, shorter holes ...?

Is that separate?

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That would just make the sport more boring to watch than it already is.

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

A 210 yd. par 5 ?

:p

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Or the PGA putt putt tour.:p

[Announcer]Can Tiger make it through the wind mill.[/Announcer]

20. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Jeez. Ya got me going.

Tiger would zip right through the windmill and make the cut. In the lead.

Then .

Days 3 and 4 he would hit the windmill and the ball would bounce into the parking lot. Then he loses.

21. malman89 macrumors 68000

Augusta can't help it that millions want to pay to watch tournaments at its course. It's the public's fault for supporting them - if anyone's - in this case.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What you would find, however, is more and more viewers alienated by that policy ... and turned off by it. Just as they were alienated and turned off by Augusta National's segregationist practices that finally changed in the early 1990's.

Does anybody wish to claim that the last 20 years of the Masters Tournament was diminished in any way by the black members admitted to the club? Likewise, allowing women to be members should do little to tarnish its luster.

23. djjclark macrumors regular

You have a source for this? Masters TV viewership is pretty constant over the years with the only real changes being when tiger is in contention (up) and when Sunday falls on Easter (down).

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No source ... could be completely wrong.

Wonder what compelled AN to change it's policy.

Political correctness perhaps?

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

My understanding that this is true insofar as there is absolutely no business conducted at the private club - the moment any business is done discriminatory policies are illegal. I thought the Supreme Court ruled on this issue decades ago (hence the eating clubs of Princeton being forced not to discriminate), but I am not a lawyer.

EDIT: Now if we could only get the Royal and Ancient to pull its thumb out and admit women (like the Principal of St. Andrew's University)....