Aussie ciggie packing gets the all clear

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by niuniu, Aug 15, 2012.

1. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
  2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It was a huge victory today and I'd wager a watershed moment against tobacco companies worldwide. Other countries will surely follow. It's a great message and personally I think they did a great job with the graphic designs on the packets.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

To be honest, this is nothing, and the norm for warnings against things in Oz.

When I was living there, I saw a commercial on PSA about buckling up while driving. It was a huge far cry from the 'you can learn a lot from a dummy' stupid humor PSAs we have in the US.

Short story of it: a guy was sitting in the backseat of a car that his friends were driving. He dropped something on the floor of the car, so he unbuckled his seatbelt to pick it up. The car was then broadsided, and shards of glass went straight into his eyes, leaving him completely blind in one eye, with needing to have his eye removed. They dramatized the accident, but showed the guy as he looks now, after having an ocular evisceration (google it). He cried the entire time, because all he did was unbuckle his belt for what was to be a few seconds. Then came the reminder to buckle up when you get in the car.

I wished they would show something like this in the US, but it would never pass muster up here because it is too shocking to the kiddies.

I applaud the packaging on the cigarette cartons. Besides, we don't have another Yul Brynner telling us posthumously to not smoke.

BL.

5. niuniu thread starter macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    We got those ads over here as well. Cars flying through gardens right into kids, newly weds gettin' their heads smashed against windscreens all that sort of thing.

Whether it works or not I've no way to know. I'm pretty sure the old AIDs advert worked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT-RH_2gfog
    Imagine watchin' that as a kid in the 80s.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That's a pretty disgusting way of telling people not to smoke, I like it.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

This might dissuade new smokers, but shock tactics rarely work because people dismiss them (particularly if the shock tactics use worst-case scenarios that most do not see in everyday life).

I think tobacco companies should simple be held economically viable for the toxins their products and the damage it does to people. Even if the tactics work in the developed world, the tobacco companies are simply turning to the developing world, where rates of smoking are going way up. The pathetic irony of growing tobacco for people in countries that have malnutrition shouldn't be lost in the shuffle....

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I am pretty sure tobacco taxes fund the health costs.

Of course with this move there is no reason to buy legally anymore.

9. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

I'm not sure how necessary this is. Most smokers are actually aware of the risks. If they still want to smoke, they can go ahead.

10. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I dunno..

Prior to 1995, I rarely drove around with my seatbelt off, and it wasn't against the law then, either. Then I went to Australia and saw that commercial. I laughed in the back of my head when my host parents had said that the car we were in was not going to move one meter until everyone had their seatbelts on. So I buckled up.

Then I saw the commercial.

Ever since then, I've never gone anywhere without buckling up.

That commercial shocked the hell out of me.. and it worked.

BL.