Aussie woman makes underage sex tape, spared jail

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by CorvusCamenarum, Jul 5, 2008.

1. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Story here

I'm not sure what's worse, that she got a pass on jail time, that she thinks the suspended sentence is too much, or this:

Someone please tell me this isn't the usual state of Australian justice.

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Well, perhaps I am a bit more understanding now of all the Kiwis who cannot stand to be "grouped" with Aussies.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

It' the daily telegraph CC. It's sensationalist australian tabloid rubbish. There's likely far more to the story than is being presented.

On face value I agree that it seems lenient.

edit: Here's Sean Fewster's article history.
    [​IMG]
    He sure has a predilection for lesbian stories.

4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Based the content in the article it appears to be a shocking miscarriage of justice, and my cynical side can't help but wonder if gender is playing a role here...

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Well then, they have nothing to "stand" on. :D

Breasts, WTH are those??? :p

6. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Of course it is.

At least she didn't say she's too pretty to go to jail. She just thinks two years of required non-criminality is too much for her and she doesn't want to be labeled a sex offender so she can work with kids. :eek:

7. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

i think a 12 month jail sentence was already far too light for this crime, and now they reduced it to 2 years "good behaviour bond", sounds like probation to me.

excuse me while i barf forever at the idea of this woman knowing what that feels like. that alone should send her to prison.

8. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Based on the limited facts presented in the article, I think I'm on the woman's side. Unless there's obvious proof that she knew they were underage she doesn't deserve a lengthy sentence.

Well...she's a woman...who was 10 years old at one time...so I imagine she'd know what a 10 year old's breasts would feel like.

9. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Since when is ignorance of the law an excuse for breaking it?

2 years is not "lengthy". Then again, had she been a man she would have gotten a lot more than 2 years (maximum is 10), and no chance of having it reduced to what amounts to probation.

10. idyll macrumors 6502

Wow, yeah I wonder if gender had a role here..

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

The story didn't release the age of the underage girls. There's a world of difference between, say, 16 and a half and 13.

12. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

There's also a world of difference between 16.5 and 14.x.

There's more to it - she had help
    The two men involved took pleas yet got harsher sentences. I guess the booby pass works in Australia.

13. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I can't believe I missed that :eek:

Total miscarriage of justice indeed.

14. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I'm going to have to take the rather unpopular position and say that both she and the men do not deserve punishment at all.

If they believed the girls to be seventeen, that is above Australia's age of consent (sixteen), so charging them for recording an otherwise legal act would be nothing more than a thought crime.

Even otherwise, 14 year old girls would already be in high school. That's a perfectly reasonable age for them to be involved with sexual activity, and once again, laws against recording an otherwise acceptable act are equivalent to thought-crime legislation.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You think 14 is perfectly reasonable age to be sexually involved? That is just sad.

16. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I know plenty of people who were sexually involved at the age of 14 and turned out fine. I really don't see any reason for it to be illegal, just because it's not my preference or people find it 'gross' or 'sad'.

17. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

No, they're being punished for the crime they did commit, i.e. sex with underage girls (well, 2 out of 3 anyway). What they thought or claimed they thought is irrelevant.

So if, say a 40 year old man picked up and bedded a girl he claimed he genuinely thought was legal but turned out to be 15, you'd be all right with that because he thought she was of age? Just plain sick.

18. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Well, for one thing, if it wasn't actual rape, I don't believe the government should be involved once they're in high school, but nevertheless...

If they really did believe they were of age, then no, they shouldn't be punished. If the law is to 'protect' underage people, then if they misconstrue their age to others, then they should lose that 'protection'.

So you'd be alright with sending him to jail? Sounds like morality policing to me.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Misrepresent yourself, live with the consequences.

BTW, "I have a 14" dock" never did me any good. Please, regale me with your exploits. :D

20. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Exactly.

Now that I align my dock vertically to the right, it's only 10.5", so it brings nothing but disappointment.:(;)

21. CorvusCamenarum thread starter macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

It is rape by statutory definition. Underage = unable to legally give consent in the eyes of the law. Why is this so hard to grasp?

Tell you what - the next time you get pulled over for speeding, try telling the officer that you really believed the speed limit was higher. See how well it works, then see how long he laughs while writing you the ticket anyway. I already said it above, but I'll say it again. Ignorance of the law does not excuse breaking it.

Yes. It's called following the law. If you don't agree with it, I'm sure there are lawmakers in Boston who'd be happy to listen to you.

22. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Right. The "eyes of the law" say it's rape. That doesn't mean it actually is rape.

This is a different case (Not that I necessarily agree with a lot of traffic laws). Here, they're not saying they were ignorant of the law, but ignorant of performing the action itself. What if a person looked to be 18 and had a convincing ID, but was really fifteen, had sex with a twenty year old, then later turned around and pressed charges? You really think the twenty year old in this case should go to jail for an action that infringed on no one's rights?

Also, as previously mentioned, I don't support the law in the first place.

Right, I don't agree with the law. There are lots of laws I don't agree with, but it's rather unpopular to disagree with most of them. If I could get lawmakers in Boston to listen to me, I'd be happy as a clam.