Austin, TX Apple Store - Barton vs Domain

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by Brandon083, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Brandon083 macrumors member

Brandon083

Anyone have an opinion about which is better to try and get an iPhone at (from previous experience)? Was thinking the domain since it is closer to work....

2. djon41 macrumors regular

I'm debating the same. I'm thinking the line at Barton might be shorter, but the Domain store might get more stock since (I think) it has more traffic. Barton is closer for me so I am thinking of heading there Friday AM.

3. djon41 macrumors regular

Bumping this to see if anyone else here will be lining up in Austin? Ha, hopefully lack of replies bodes well for my chances of getting a phone in the morning.

4. Thistledown macrumors member

The Domain says they won't allow line ups until 6:00a. This is no different than any other Domain iPhone release. It just turns into a goat rodeo with everyone trying to line up before 6 and the rent-a-cop(s) dispersing the line.

5. djon41 macrumors regular

Hm, that sounds like a mess. Probably good to avoid that, although I don't know how much different Barton will be. I keep meaning to call but haven't gotten around to it yet.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Sorry to awaken a dead thread, but how successful were y'all last year? Anyone attempting to get the iPhone 6 at Domain/Barton Creek?

7. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I walked into the Domain after work on the iPhone 5s launch around 3:30pm and walked out with what I wanted. They had plenty of the cards they were handing out.

This year if the unlocked 5.5" version is available on launch I'll probably try the Domain again.

8. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Oh no kidding. That's awesome. 16 GB?

9. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I picked up a 32GB on launch day. This year if it's 5.5" I'll be getting the biggest capacity as it'll probably also double as my iPad.

10. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Okay that makes sense. I'll probably go for a 32 4.7

Thanks for the feedback

11. Apple14250 macrumors member

Domain Austin

Does anyone know what the line situation was last year at the domain for the 5S? When can you start lining up? Trying to get a 128 6 plus

I remember trying for the iPhone 4 and the rent a cops kept telling people to leave until 6am, so people were waiting in the back parking lot until around 5:30. Trying to see if it will be the same as a few years ago?

12. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

Apple isn't making a 32 GB version of the 6. But you'll be getting a 64 GB for the same price ;)

I'd like to hear about this too. I have never lined up for a launch before but I'm thinking about doing it this year. I'm only looking to get the 4.7 inch version, so I don't expect the demand to be quite as crazy as for the 6+. I don't mind lining up at 5-6 AM, but have no interest in sleeping out overnight. So, it would be great news if they aren't letting the line form until 6 AM!

13. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I was in this boat, but I managed to secure a 9/19 delivery and it's in transit, so I'll be sitting out.

14. psycho78 macrumors newbie

Im interested in doing this...

SO if noone was allowed to line up before 6--what time did people actually start arriving (to apparently wait in the parking lot)? At 530/6:00, did people just rush the line or was someone keeping track of it? And finally, how many people were there in line at 6am?

Hoping to get a 64GB Plus....

15. Apple14250 macrumors member

domain line

this was for the iPhone 4, but the rent a cops would tell cars driving by the store to come back at 6am. This was around 4am. I went to the lot towards the back on the main road that goes through the domain, and people were parked in that lot. I'd see a group of people run from the parking lot to the store and then get sent back, and they would threaten writing tickets. Pretty funny event.

Finally around 5-30am the crowd got so large that when everybody headed towards the store they couldn't stop it.

Trying to see if this was the same case last year or if they finally got a new way to do this.

16. richardcardona macrumors newbie

I was at the Domain for the iPhone 3GS and 4 launches and the premises "opening time" was 5am not 6am. Maybe Simon properties changed that since 2012. My understanding (although I have never gone) is Barton Creek Mall allows overnight queuing, which is odd as it too is a Simon property.

If you want an iPhone 6 plus, you should probably go as early as you can as supplies are limited and online delivery dates are now well into November.

17. chiawen.yang macrumors member

Domain is residential that's why you can't line up overnight but stay in your car. Barton creek mall is closed at night but I believe the line starts outside and once the doors open the line moves in.

18. richardcardona macrumors newbie

Not to quibble but the Shops of the Domain are commercial and yes the residential portion is just across the street. The Domain is private property so security can ask you to leave at any time. This is why I think “opening times” are arbitrary and not published. The Domain website just says 10am-9pm, obviously those are business hours. Outside of operating hours you may be asked to leave.

19. semperfimarine2 macrumors regular

semperfimarine2

Anybody know if they're allowing lines this year??

20. JCRiley09 macrumors newbie

Last I heard, the Domain line can start at 5:30am. Don't quote me on that though.

Has anyone been to Barton on a release morning?

21. wowmyers macrumors member

I drove through the Barton parking lot for the Iphone5 release around 6:30am and the line was out the door(by California Pizza) all the way to the end of the parking lot by the trees. I may or may not have stood in line for 4+ hours at lunch time...

22. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Just drove by the domain line up starts at 5am

23. semperfimarine2 macrumors regular

semperfimarine2

You the man! I'll probably call by the end of tonight to confirm.

24. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Good idea. They had a sign out front between the Apple store and the Starbucks. Since it's going to rain tonight I wouldn't want to stand out there anyhow if I had to!

Good luck to all my fellow Austinites tomorrow!

25. JCRiley09 macrumors newbie

I know there is no way to answer this for sure, but will the iPhone 6 sell out? Seems like all the demand is for the 6+. If I show up at 9 to Barton Mall, will the line be shorter, faster, and provide the same results?