Australia announces end to religious exemptions for vaccinations

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zin, Apr 19, 2015.

1. zin, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2015

zin macrumors 6502

I never thought I'd say it. Australia under a conservative Prime Minister who tries his hardest to be disliked is pushing forward with good reform.

This is how it should be done.

2. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Good going, Australia. Gotta nip this anti-vax fad in the bud before it gets out of hand.

3. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good to hear a good decision from your prime minister.

Runs, hides.

5. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

And well you should run and hide. TG is from the other side of the Tasman Sea.

KGB:cool:

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

Australia, please just release George Miller’s update on Mad Max, Fury Road. Otherwise, I don’t care.

But what I care about are reports of autism as a result of a kind of speedball vaccination. This man on Frontline told his story, part of which included this:

FRONTLINE: What are the crucial elements of the theory linking prevalence of autism with vaccines?

J.B. Handley: We know the rate is rising. We know prevalence is up dramatically. It’s 1 in 110 kids today. It was somewhere between 1 in 5,000 and 1 in 10,000 in the mid-80s. So that’s a 50- to hundredfold increase in autism.

The first set of data points, and perhaps the most important, is the literally tens of thousands of parental reports of children regressing and changing after vaccine appointments. Few people without kids today realize that when a child goes in for a doctor’s appointment — and they’re required to go in at 2 months, 4 months, 6 months and 12 months to get their initial vaccines — there are literally somewhere between five and seven vaccines lined up on the table. They’re all given simultaneously within about 12 minutes. Well, tens of thousands of parents have reported that their kid was never the same after those appointments. So that’s our first data point, if you will, is parental feedback.

8. citizenzen, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Or there's a 50 to 100 fold increase in autism diagnoses.

The disease rate could be the same, it could be that we're better able to identify it.

9. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I'll believe medical studies over Frontline

https://www.autismspeaks.org/scienc...ms-no-association-between-vaccines-and-autism

http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/48/4/456.full

10. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

While vaccines are a good idea (especially if a particular one is proven to be effective and it has an EXTREMELY low risk), you should never be forced to get them.

Jenny McCarthy did not do us any favors by spreading her idiocy.

11. FieldingMellish Suspended

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's probably a bad movie anyway.

13. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Force is necessary when your reluctance to getting vaccinated might harm other people. (Mainly babies)

However if you promise to be a hermit and not have any human contact with anyone then feel free to reject the vaccination.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That works for the other dreaded use of government force so many conservatives loathe: taxes.

Please feel free to drop out of society if any of these forced impositions become too great for you to bear.

15. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Force may seem necessary "for the greater good", but it's still unconstitutional (at least in this country). The most the gov can do (at a state level, since this is a 10th Amendment issue) would be to not allow kids to attend public school without getting their vaccines. I think that's reasonable. They can't tie your kid down and stick a needle in them.

16. caesarp macrumors 6502a

Awesome. When can we get rid of the property tax exemption in the U.S. for religions. What a scam!

----------

Fire departments can destroy your home or other property (even though it may not be on fire at the moment), to protect the city or other properties as a whole.

Doesn't seem worse to inoculate kids to protect society as a whole.

The good of the whole vs. the individual.

17. APlotdevice, Apr 20, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

What about the park? Stores? The only way to ensure the unvaccinated don't spread their germs to those most vulnerable would be to bar them from all public places.

18. citizenzen, Apr 20, 2015

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Of course that assessment would require an actual court ruling it's unconstitutional ... which I doubt has occurred.

Your assumption is that it's unconstitutional, but without a ruling that is still speculation.

Edit: for example, there were a lot of people who believed it was unconstitutional to require that people buy health insurance.

19. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

I also think education in an institution (Private regulated or public) should be forced until a certain age. (Home schooling shouldn't count).

At the end of all things, you live in a society. Do your part.

20. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Well.. sort of... the mandate was ruled as a tax, so it set the precedent that mandating a product is unconstitutional, but it still can be made a tax. The law was rewritten by the SCOTUS (since Democrats were constantly campaigning that the ACA was not a tax).

Fortunately, taxes can be repealed (difficult, but possible). Fortunately, what came out of the ruling was that the federal government can never force you to buy a product.

The tax penalty is quite severe for non compliance (which is their way of forcing you). It started off something like $100, but then it is based on income (1%, 2%, etc).

I don't believe in the use of force, sorry. I don't know why you feel that homeschooling should not count. Those kids are usually smarter than even the private school kids.

Speaking of non force, I believe that I should not have to pay property taxes for public schools, especially since my family has used private education (it's not cheap, but my family made the investment). That would bring my insane property tax bill from $10,000 a year to $4,000. I could think of many places to use that extra $6,000 in my pocket!

If you want to use a particular service, then you should be the one paying for it.

60% of property taxes going to education (I'm in NJ) is absolute rape.

21. steve knight, Apr 20, 2015

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

but then the children suffer even more from their parents decisions.
    all you have to do is read the antivaxxer's Facebook pages to really see the crazy. from germs don't cause disease to shedding of vaccines that make children vaxxed like typhoid mary's one lady reported after a vaxx short her two other kids one with healed autism got it again.

22. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I've never had kids and at 55, likely never will.

But I don't mind paying property tax to fund schools at all. It's an investment in society.

I reap the benefit of not having to deal with as many stupid people.

That's priceless.

23. Melab, Apr 20, 2015

Melab macrumors regular

All laws are backed by force. Every last one of them. Freedom is protected with force. My objection to mandatory vaccinations is similar to yours but it's a lot more nuanced than this. Actually, my views are a lot more complicated than that.

24. Melab macrumors regular

You are either disingenuous or confused about this. Do you believe in any laws at all? Then you believe in force.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I guess he doesn't believe in contracts either.