Australia to Issue Fines for Swearing in Public!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by appleguy123, Jun 1, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Source

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Looks like the land down under isn't big on freedom of speech!

3. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Definitely not. Especially when you take into account that the internet is heavily censored there...

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Not yet it's not.
    With the announcement made on 5 August 2010 by Joe Hockey that the Coalition parties will not vote in favour of the policy should the Labor party be re-elected,[5] it is now virtually impossible for the filtering scheme to pass through the Senate.
    In November 2010, Department of Broadband, Communications and Digital Economy (DBCDE) released a document indicating that the earliest date any new legislation could reach parliament was mid-2013.

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

The article does mention that this is for "obnoxious swearing". It doesn't seem like it applies if you just say ****. Oh, damn...

But if you're in a public park or in line for food and you're around one of those people who talks like "Yeah, motherf'er, I was ***** around the ***** town with my ***** friends last night and some c*** tried to tell me I couldn't ***** drink at the ***** bar. I'm motherf'ing 21 B****!." That was taken almost directly from a conversation I got to overhear recently in, of all places, Australia. It was an American tourist.

I'm a stagehand...we all use very foul language pretty much all the time, so hearing that kind of talk is in no way offensive to me. But at least I know when to keep it under wraps...many do not have that filter. And that does not mean that I like to hear it out in public, especially when children and people with maybe a little less patience for such things are around.

There's that whole free speech thing, but I've never been a fan of blatant, loud, repeated foul language in a public place, so whatever...doesn't bother me if they want to fine people for it.

PS - Wow, this board even censors heavily abbreviated swears!

6. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Here they come, you will be guilty of something and if we make enough laws everyone can be guilty of something! Looks like they are modeling themselves after the UK. Whats next? breathing air? sideway glances:rolleyes:

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Writing in the Age,Josh Gordon starts his article " to put it bluntly we're all ****ed".It's been illegal to swear in public in Victoria for years (even if no one is there to hear it apparently don't know how that works :confused:) not that the law is ever enforced.Simply a revenue raising scam brought to you by the Liberals.On the plus side it may encourage Australians to learn (at least to swear) in other languages than 'strine.On a similar note a similar thing is to be tried in Barnsley for a month,given swearing is common on T.V. in the U.K. this could start court cases that may go as far as the European Court of Human Rights:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/the-northerner/2011/may/31/no-swearing-in-barnsley-80-on-the-spot-fines

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Australians have the cutest little accents, it's hilarious when they swear. It would be a shame to stifle it. :D

9. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I think it's okay for an officer to warn someone who swears excessively (such as the example provided by samiwas). However, I don't think the fine is justified. Does it really cause the society any damage (other than bruising their poor little ears :rolleyes:)?

Edit:
    If they want I can give them Quebecer swearing lessons... they might like it :D

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah mate, let's grill up a shrimp on the barbie!

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

How unbelievably stupid. So much for that Australian vacation. I'd spend all my money payng fines!

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

What nonsense.

What I want to know is how anyone can expect to stay ahead of changing vocabularies. I mean anything can sound like a swear word if you give it the right emphasis.

But I will bookmark this thread as a solid reference when someone tries to point out how squeamish Americans can be. ;)

13. codymac macrumors 6502

Are they going with the "seven words" or will the list be more extensive?

14. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Crikey! Strewth, say it ain't so mate! I'd rather cuss than eat my bonza vegemite sandwich

15. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Yeah, 'cause that's gonna make swearing less appealing.

Seriously though, this is ****ed up for such a developed country.

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

**** that ****.

Did I say **** that ****? I meant focaccia that shih tzu.

Never say the v word in my presence again. I'll have you up on charges.

17. Surely Guest

Surely

18. Peterkro, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

No you won't,Australians may well be the most prolific swearers in the world.This as I said is just a revenue raising scam with the additional benefit it will be used against youngsters who won't toe the party line(that's the Liberal party line for those in America who think Liberal=Left wing).Give Victoria a miss if you like but I'm sure you'd enjoy Sydney Pride.

(I've heard they root like a dunny door in a hurricane :) )

(bye the bye I'm referring to Australians not particularly gay men)

19. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Vaginer?

Oh, the other V word :eek:

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

In celebration of this new law, here's Eddie Murphy:

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

**** that ********, **** hole mother ****ers and their censorship trying to keep my xxx from saying the **** I wanna say?

Ohhh, oops... Just wanted to see what would happen...

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm reluctantly against it, only because these laws tend to be a slippery slope type of thing.

Then again, I don't exactly have a warm spot in my heart for the types that have to insert "*******" into every sentence they casually speak. It's an effort to intimidate everyone around them. Generally speaking, they aren't exactly pillars of society.

23. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I agree! I usually just ignore it, but I don't much like people constantly cursing around me.

24. Andeavor macrumors 6502

They're quite a few decades behind. Recently they *just* considered selling mature video games after all - with certain restrictions of course.

Considering the Aussies' forefathers where mostly criminals and wrongdoers, they sure are more uptight than the puritan Americans.

I'm not going there already for one reason... spiders everywhere... 0_0