Australia to say "Sorry"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kretzy, Feb 11, 2008.

1. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Today, Prime Minister Kevin Rudd will open Federal Parliament today with an apology to the Indiginous "Stolen Generation".

Source

The event is being televised in all schools across the country and has caused lots of contoversy regarding the issue of financial compensation.

I'm not sure if I agree with the apology or not, but I would prefer to see all this energy being directed towards actually doing something about the many problems in indiginous communities.

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Agreed, this is a pretty big issue and I hope they handle it correctly.

3. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    To whom does this refer, exactly? I'm sorry, but I didn't get that bit by reading this.

4. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

It refers to the indigenous people of Australia, in particular the 'stolen generation'. The stolen generation is used to describe the Aboriginal children who were taken away from their parents by the government of the time and put into 'white' households to be brought 'properly'.

The actual speech has now been published before he reads it tomorrow:

Source

5. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    [From Monty Python's (in)famous "Bruces" sketch]

"ERIC" PROF. BRUCE: Australia, Australia, Australia, we love you.
    ALL: Amen!
    "ERIC" PROF. BRUCE: Crack brew!

Gotta love Monty Python...

6. schreck macrumors regular

Other than for egocentric reasons, what good does apologizing for something that you didn't commit do? I believe that it's absolutely ridiculous that people feel the need to ask forgiveness for disrespect demonstrated by a previous generation.

With that said, I think it's a great thing that they're recognizing the previous problems. The best thing they can do is attempt to fix these issues which it looks like they're doing now.