AUSTRALIA: Where will you be pre-ordering/buying your iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tmanto02, Sep 12, 2012.

1. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

With pre-orders available from Apple tomorrow, and no word yet on individual carriers options where will you be getting your new iPhone 5?

I want to get mine ASAP, is it normally faster to pre-order from Apple or say Telstra?

2. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Really no Australians are excited for the new phone?

3. sbojevets macrumors member

come lets go need some good 12 month contract

4. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

The nano sim is only thing holding me back. My carrier is amaysim and I'm still waiting to hear back from them on when they'll have them. Since they are a bring-your-own-phone company I doubt they'll have them straight away.

I use so little data and minutes anymore that it doesn't make any sense to go with a different carrier (and even if I was I'd just go back to the unlimited minutes/texts and 4gb data for 39.99). I will wait until they either provide the sims themselves or someone has come up with proof that cutting an existing sim down to size will work. (since there is a difference in thickness as well as l x w)

I guess I'll hang onto my 3gs a little bit longer...

5. puercaeli macrumors regular

I am just going to bite the bullet and buy on-line. But kinda frustrated by lack of any info as to what time the pre-order will start...

I am concerned about the SIM situation but I might just cut it and see how it goes. I am on TPG so if I don't be brave and try cutting it, who knows how long I will have to use my iPhone 5 as a multifunctional paper weight.

6. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Without trying to sound too mean here, it must suck knowing that you will be missing out on LTE being with TPG huh?

7. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

g'day!

I have a question from the UK :)

My brother (who lives in Melbourne) is currently holidaying up the East coast of OZ. Can I pre-order for him from the UK using apple.com/au and using his Apple ID etc as if he were doing it himself?

None of my details will be used but wondered if my IP showing up as uk would be an issue?

Thanks guys

8. Pillow Defender macrumors newbie

I'm annoyed by the carriers. The only carrier who has really said anything is Voda saying pre orders and tariff details will be online after 5pm tomorrow. Nothing from both Optus or Telstra on the matter and they are both the 4G networks here. I'm due an upgraded handset on Optus which I've been saving for this phone for a while. Apple go live tonight for preorders while our 4G carriers are dragging there feet.
    Annoying, but I'll have to wait for Optus, or cancel with them and go with Telstra.

9. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

Yeah me too it's frustrating, I would expect at least an "iPhone 5 info coming soon" or something.

Switch to Telstra anyway mate their data speeds will kill it and I work in a store that sells Optus haha :D:D

10. Pillow Defender macrumors newbie

From the UK, but living here now. I did the opposite and bought from the UK store using my UK account details but used my Aussie card. Went through fine. Hope that helps. :)

11. tmanto02 thread starter macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I would presume its ok. Test by 'buying' something from the Australian store now up to the checkout stage and see what happens.

12. KandyKane macrumors 6502

I think I'll order one online (outright) and buy another two on plans.

I work at a Telco and was told that staff are not allowed to buy in the first batch, even though we go on the exact same plan as customers and they make the exact same amount of money. Apparently our money isn't as good as everyone elses... If so I am refusing to work so I can go into another store to buy it.

13. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

cheers guys. I've logged in using his details and have enabled 1 click purchasing. Hoping thats the quickest way to get a iPhone (no contract)

14. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

15. Pillow Defender macrumors newbie

Well still no news from Optus, or Telstra. Voda and Apple will be accepting pre orders from 5pm here. Annoying, hopefully have these orders done and dusted today though

16. michaedug123, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

michaedug123 macrumors newbie

This wait is killing me.. :( where you guys plan to get your iphone 5?

17. KandyKane macrumors 6502

Huh? I got mine over a month ago...

18. michaedug123 macrumors newbie

Really? How many days did you get the phone? I am not lucky to receive an email from any apple store.

19. KandyKane macrumors 6502

I pre-ordered online and also picked one up from a Telstra shop. Got on launch day and the other one a week later (didn't like the black)

20. michaedug123 macrumors newbie

Do you have an issue with your iphone 5? I did not made any pre ordered phones(Iphone 5 $ SGN2) since I observe first on the first users before I buy a phone. Like what happened for the SGN2, I heard an issue about the Spen. It will show a mark even though the pen is not touching the screen.

On the other hand, I already bought one from online store from AE a Hong Kong company. It's been 5 days since I bought the phone, I will expect it by Monday as their advised. Anyway, what store did you made a pre-order? Also, I just wondered why you don't like the black one? I bought the black one since I already have a white Iphone 4s.

21. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I'm going to start with TPG on a no contact plan with unlocked phone (due nov 12-16) bought online, because the people I phone most are on TPG and the plan has unlimited calls to other TPG mobiles. I'm not too concerned about LTE for now, as this isn't available where I live. I suppose all providers will eventually offer LTE ... or they'll lose all their customers?
    TPG told me they would have the sims for iPhone 5 by mid nov at the latest.

22. KandyKane macrumors 6502

I don't know what SGN2 or Spen is??

No problems with my iPhone. I ordered from apple.com, if you're buying it outright why bother buying it elsewhere to save like $50? They might not cover the warrantee in Australia, I've heard horror stores from Kogan etc

I think the white looks better than the black one in person, photos don't do it justice!

23. michaedug123 macrumors newbie

The SGN2 is the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 with an Spen.

I just received the phone today and it looks fine. I bought this since they offer extended warranty as cheaper price. They said that they have an Australian agent who will do the fixes in case I have a trouble of my phone.

For the color since I have the white one I was admire for the black one :) Thanks for your responses mate. I appreciated it.