Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
I know the US model 5S and 5C support some of the aussie LTE bands, but not all of them. im asking because i wanna get a 5C as a gift for a friend. So if somebody could clarify the 4G LTE situation down there, do these extra bands matter or not?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

specifically bands 8, 38, 39, 40. are missing from the US model. Will this make a difference in Australia? i think Telstra is utilizing band 8 for LTE, but not sure.

mjk91

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2013
Band 40 TD2300 is the only band out of those missing you may need in Australia. I say may as it's only being utilised by one carrier, Optus. Even then it's only exclusively in one city Canberra. Optus also has TD2300 in Melbourne, but it uses band 3 1800 there too. Optus does have plans to expand TD2300.

So if your friend lives in Canberra and is on Optus then it won't work. If they use Optus in another city, it'll get 4G but won't be able to utilise any of the infrastructure upgrades coming.

If they stick with Telstra, no problems in any city. Purchase! Purchase! Purchase!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.