Australian Store is down

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1goodidea, Sep 12, 2012.

1. oldcelt macrumors 6502

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Just maintenance to prep for preorders to hammer servers probably.

3. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

The "Store down" stuff has always amazed me. Here we have a high tech company that should have the ability to manage capacity, in-line changes, and lock down processes tightly. Yet each time they have a major product release they have to take the entire store down and when it comes back up they NEVER have the capacity to handle the initial load. It boggles the mind. The store should stay up. Heck, I think it should be expected that as the products are announced, the site should go live and highlight features as they are introduced so that people can follow along with the release. In other words, make the launches interactive.

Seems a bit 1990's the way they handle it now.

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Taking the store down is likely a Jobs idea. The amount of free press it creates in the blogosphere and forums is huge. Brilliant marketing. As for it not being able to handle the load upon reopening, I agree it's odd, but then again the load increases exponentially each year with each keynote.

5. beergut macrumors member

beergut

This new product will have such an impact that it is expected to increase the GDP by .5%. That is staggering. Tech giant or not, the load of information they will receive will be insane.

6. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

If they take down the entire store for an update of a single product (regardless if it's a marquee item), I don't consider it "genius marketing" that those looking for items in the other product lines are SOL.

7. beergut macrumors member

beergut

psssst....the entire world is waiting on what Apple says in 2 hours. :apple:

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

really though waiting 4 or 5 hours is not a big deal