Australia's million iPod users are all breaking piracy laws

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
"When I got my iPod I got online ready to pay. Hours later and after being devastated to find out Apple doesn't care about iPod owners, I had to give up," she said.
WTF. Sorry they haven't yet worked out all the legal mumbo-jumbo with your country yet. Keep in mind they're trying to open the store in the same country that considers ripping CDs you already own a crime. :\

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
Mudbug said:
WTF. Sorry they haven't yet worked out all the legal mumbo-jumbo with your country yet. Keep in mind they're trying to open the store in the same country that considers ripping CDs you already own a crime. :\
She's being rather dramatic. I have a hard time believing her priated movie story too. She was so ridled with guilt after three minutes she had to shut if off? Puuuuuuuulllllease.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
jholzner said:
She's being rather dramatic. I have a hard time believing her priated movie story too. She was so ridled with guilt after three minutes she had to shut if off? Puuuuuuuulllllease.
Yep, and she talks ****:

"When I got my iPod I got online ready to pay. Hours later and after being devastated to find out Apple doesn't care about iPod owners, I had to give up," she said.

Its the record companies refusing to sign up to iTunes, due to their greed.

It will be a sad day if Australian record companies start suing iPod owners for transferring their *OWN* music to the music player.

What are these companies going to do - stop people in the street and search for MP3 players?

Australian copyright laws are truly retarded and protect the music industry far too much. It appears 'fair rights' is a thing in the past down under.

mpq

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2005
Stella said:
It will be a sad day if Australian record companies start suing iPod owners for transferring their *OWN* music to the music player.
"Nobody owns music, you're just borrowing it from the record companies." FAIR USE? WHAT'S THAT? :mad:

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
So, I'm not from Australia, but why exactly is it illegal to rip music from CD's in Australia????

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
"We can't rule out ever going after individual users," MIPI spokesman Michael Kerin said."

is it also illegal to shoot the [bleepin] greedy middle man who does nothing, but rip off the artists?!... if there's anyone out there who has a few dollars to start a class action legal campaign for artists against the record companies of world, that would be something!

TwitchOSX

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2002
Southern Oregon
She's an idiot. And ugly too. If I were as ugly as her, I would shoot myself. She might as well go and slit her wrists because there is no iTunes store in Australia yet. God.. somebody put that sea donkey out of her misery.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
mad jew said:
And not one of them cares. :p
Not true. Numerous surveys and studies have shown that some Australians do care. While the results are varied, it's almost certain that somewhere between 7 and 22 Australians have at least a slight concern about the situation. Hardly the 0 number that you seem to believe. At the high end of the estimates, that's almost two dozen concerned Australians.

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Mudbug said:
We have the same laws here in NZ Mudbug

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
lopresmb said:
So, I'm not from Australia, but why exactly is it illegal to rip music from CD's in Australia????
Because that is considered "format shifting" which as current laws go in both Australia AND New Zealand is considered illegal copying of copy writed material. The legal people are assisting the government and are considering a change to be similar to what you have in the US (sort of). It was bought in way back in the days of vinyl records and tapes

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
TwitchOSX said:
She's an idiot. And ugly too. If I were as ugly as her, I would shoot myself. She might as well go and slit her wrists because there is no iTunes store in Australia yet. God.. somebody put that sea donkey out of her misery.
"All that glisters is not gold" TwitchOSX ;)

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Stella said:
Yep, and she talks ****:

Just to clarify, you don't "OWN" the music on your iPod Stella. To "own" it means you would have been the original artist of that music. You have only paid for the right to listen to it. If you wanted to "own" the music you would have to sign a legal agreement with the original artist for the rights to that music, how ever that still wouldnt make you the original creator. It is all about putting a value and ownership on Intellectual Property and creativity. :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
But all methods of filling the player with music are illegal, which means Australia's hundreds of thousands of iPod users are all technically criminals.
All methods are illegal? So you're not allowed to copy podcasts to your iPod? And you're not allowed to copy your home-made GarageBand songs on either? :eek:

Unlike some of you, I agree with what she's saying. Apple Australia's support is nonexistent :mad: (in general, not just for iTunes)

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Nermal said:
All methods are illegal? So you're not allowed to copy podcasts to your iPod? And you're not allowed to copy your home-made GarageBand songs on either? :eek:
Good spotting Nermal ;) :D
Nothing like "informative journalism" :p

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
lopresmb said:

It is illegal to transfer commercial/purchased/borrowed music from one medium to another without the consent of the recording artist. This means Nermal is (as usual) correct in saying that you can do what you want with personal sound files (music as 'twere) and podcasts. :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
jsw said:
At the high end of the estimates, that's almost two dozen concerned Australians.
Of which, Claire Cohen seems to be one.

It strikes me that this is most unAustralian-like behaviour. Bunch of larrikins, rascals and dags that you are... ;)

winmacguy

macrumors 68020
Nov 8, 2003
New Zealand
Blue Velvet said:
Of which, Claire Cohen seems to be one.

It strikes me that this is most unAustralian-like behaviour. Bunch of larrikins, rascals and dags that you are... ;)
Yeh, pitty about the Rugby, Ashes and netball too eh ;) :D