Austria’s right-wing success alarms Jews

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BigAppleNYC123, Oct 15, 2017.

1. BigAppleNYC123 macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

Austrian voters gave 31-year-old conservative Sebastian Kurz a mandate to form a new government in an election on Sunday, setting up a potential coalition with the nationalist Freedom Party as junior partner, according to projections based on partial returns.

Kurz’s People’s Party took 31.5 percent of the vote, with Chancellor Christian Kern’s Social Democrats in second place with about 27 percent and the Freedom Party third place at about 26 percent, according to Sora projections for ORF public television.

The outcome may mark a triumph for European populists after they were kept out of power this year in elections in the Netherlands, France and German

Ronald Lauder, head of the World Jewish Congress, congratulated Kurz and expressed concern about the strength of the Freedom Party, which he said is “full of xenophobes and racists.”

“It is sad and distressing that such a platform should receive more than a quarter of the vote and become the country’s second party,” Lauder said in an emailed statement. “My only hope is that they won’t end up in government.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-right-in-election-that-empowers-nationalists

2. zin macrumors 6502

I'm not familiar with the Austrian Freedom Party. What specifically has caused Ronald Lauder to say it is "full of xenophobes and racists"?

3. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

Google?

Wikipedia?

4. zin macrumors 6502

Couldn't find anything except their support for lowering refugee admissions and decreasing immigration. 'Austria First', so to speak.

5. juanm macrumors 68000

juanm

You surely meant Austria über alles.

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Party_of_Austria

a party founded and then led over decades by former SS Officers.

So its not suprising the world jewish congress isnt happy.

The last scandal from them involving nazi stuff ? 2 months ago

7. zin macrumors 6502

What was the scandal? I've perused their platform and don't see why it's racist.

I suppose an increasing share of Austrians do not support the establishment of mass migration. Or 26% of Austrian voters are Nazis.

8. daflake macrumors 6502a

Not surprising, many of the people I have spoken to are tired of their people being ignored while they bring in more refugees. I suspect you will see this happening more often.

9. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Perhaps because Austria IS full of xenophobes and racists. I've been there multiple times. It's quite shocking just how openly racist many of them can be.

10. daflake macrumors 6502a

It’s more than just that. Many people feel like they are losing their identity with the lack of borders and open doors. Many are open to helping, but it has a cost.

11. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Now all it takes is one angry, disenfranchised, low-talent out-of-work Austrian painter to appear in this scenario. And it's full circle again.

12. zin macrumors 6502

I thought the 'scandal' would've been more than just a local councillor who was rightfully suspended.

I don't think broad-brush allegations of Nazism are a very good political strategy. It didn't work in the United States and evidently hasn't worked in Austria. Perhaps taking their concerns on board is the better thing to do.

13. 0007776 Suspended

That didn’t work in 1930’s Europe either.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The Austrian Nazi Party has done well long before Merkels misguided refugee policy.

15. SoggyCheese Suspended

SoggyCheese

Indeed. Austria is frequently "on the verge" of electing far-right politicians into government. Have been at least since the 80s to my memory, probably a lot longer for those older than me.

16. daflake macrumors 6502a

Oh I don’t doubt that at all. I just hear a lot of talk and the far right is even making traction in Germany.

17. BigAppleNYC123 thread starter macrumors regular

BigAppleNYC123

18. Zenithal macrumors 604

Not really. Israel is besties with a few ME countries. People simply view Israel as the location of Christ and the next coming when the world ends. I see Israel as a really awesome place for olives. I'd say pistachios, too, but anyone with a brain knows Israel's pistachios are smuggled from Iran.

19. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Anyone with a brain should know that in the best of all worlds Israel and Iran will someday be best buds and together represent an awesome powerhouse for economic advancement of the entire region. We seem short of quite a few brains on that score though, so far. I maintain hope for the future despite the existence of Donald Trump, Bibi Netanyahu, the current US envoy to Israel and a whole slew of aging ayatollahs plus their corrupt fans in the revolutionary guard. But some days that "best of all worlds" dream seems farther away than at other times.

The Austrian elections are maybe not all that much of a surprise at this point, but they're depressing anyway. They're a sign that slipping and sliding is part of human nature, apparently. So far the world struggles to leave violent xenophobia behind for good. Maybe we'll never get there. Lately we grow careless or complacent, it seems to me.

There's an assumption by some that we'll never forget the Holocaust in the Europe of WWII --after all there are musuems!-- and so there's no need to get all crazed over anyone's xenophobia when it surfaces anew behind whatever rationale.

Well in the age of the internet more and more people don't even bother learning stuff that wasn't focused on in their schooling: they just google a phrase if they don't get something... and then just quote whatever strikes them as a good hit on the search. What strikes them as a good hit may have been swayed by whatever silo they willingly have park themselves in to get their news and political opinion. Holocaust deniers are just the tip of the iceberg in that sort of setup. There will always be too many people who blindly follow the voice with the most money to buy the most websites to put out the most virulent lies to engage voters.

I'd like to think the real world has ways of combatting this tendency, but the "real world" of news and political opinion publication is now also increasingly online. That fact may well be part of why it has become easier to sell in the idea of calling out mainstream media as being purveyors of fake news, and offering really really fake news in its place...

The old saw about the medium being the message is starting to come true all over again in yet another distressing manner. The first time with TV it was marketing of consumer products, this time with the internet it's increasingly the marketing of ideas. Some minor speech by some extremist wouldn't even have made the news 20 years ago. Now he says something ignorant and exciting that appeals to other extremists and it's up on You Tube on a thousand channels in hours. Is free speech overrated? No, but it's tiresome how ignorant some of it really is, and how prevalent that level of ignorance still is too.

Nonetheless one can hope Austrians facing the reality of a new government will reject the worst parts of any potential coalition's inclinations, no matter what circulates through the net thanks to the burgeoning hopes of extremists pleased by the far right's improved representation.

20. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Best pistachios…. Iran.

Second-best is California. :D
    --- Post Merged, Oct 15, 2017 ---
    Back when Cyrus the Great was emperor of the Persian Empire, the Jews and Persians (Iranians) were indeed besties.

Wikipedia: Persian Jews

21. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Considering how he just escaped from hell, that might just happen.

22. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Trump must have pardoned him and ordered the Jailers of Hell to release him, it all happened while everyone was distracted by the NFL kneeling controversy.

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

If you don't let in a endless amounts of immigrants and give them full benefits you are considered "right wing" in Europe.