Austria Bans the Burqa

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ThisBougieLife, May 20, 2017.

1. ThisBougieLife macrumors 65816

ThisBougieLife

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...atest-country-in-europe-to-ban-full-face-veil

Austria has become the latest European nation to ban the wearing of a full-face veil in public (i.e. a burqa or niqab). Other nations that have similar bans are Belgium, the Netherlands, France, and Bulgaria. Germany and Norway are also considering them.

Are "Burqa bans" a good thing? Are they a sign of religious intolerance? Or are they a sign of attempts at integration?

2. niploteksi macrumors regular

At places you can't wear a motorcycle helmet or a balaclava you can't wear a full-face veil.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Forced integration, don't like it? Don't go there , in Saudi Arabia women are forced to wear crap on their head and are prohibited from driving.

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Like banks? Sure, helmets obscure the face, but they also provide protection against the limited means that security guards have to protect themselves (remember that Europe is not as gun-happy as the US so security guards there are mostly not armed with guns).

Burqa bans are a bad thing. Surely what one wears is not the business of the state. What is the business of the state is making sure that women aren't harassed. This goes for any religious men who harass women for not dressing conservatively enough, and for men whistling and catcalling at women on the street. I have to say that I have seen much more of the latter than the former.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

These bans are bad things and a threat to religious freedom. We don't need to have the government dictating what women can and cannot wear. And if someone's husband forces them to wear one when they don't want to treat that as any other type of domestic violence and don't punish the victim.

6. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

And men are forced to wear bling necklaces.

7. joy.757 macrumors regular

I personally am not a fan of the Burqa ban. It seems to infringe on people's right to wear whatever they want.

8. Rigby macrumors 601

I'm conflicted. On one hand I see it like you, on the other hand burqas are kind of extreme and a symbol of oppression. BTW, many states in the US have anti-mask statutes as well. Most of them were originally aimed at the KKK "costume" ...

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

In general I agree but like some rules and laws to allow for increasing scrutiny to prevent crime I think that the face should be visible.

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

For some (perhaps most in the West) women, the Burqa is worn as for respect of their modesty. A similar sentiment is often seen at Christian weddings... (see below).

[​IMG]

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

That doesn't obstruct her face. Islam systematically turns women into secondary citizens and brainwashes them into thinking it's their culture or choice to be dominated by men. Funny part is the SJW say nothing about it.

12. niploteksi macrumors regular

Most criminals just pull on a skimask before they rob someone so... I'm not sure what crimes are going to be prevented. It's illogical to allow covered faces in banks due to religious reasons though. Just as an example.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

How undressed do we have to force women to be before they are no longer oppressed?

It's one thing to help out a woman who is being forced to wear one, it's another thing to force a woman who wants to wear one not to.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Some do, some don't.
    If you allow a covered face you have to allow it everywhere. Movie theatres, ballparks, etc. places where the probability of crime increases quite a bit. If the cops see someone with a ski mask at a ballpark, now they have reasonable right to question the person. If the laws allows covered faces, then they can't question (they lose search rights) the suspect on religious basis.
    Yes, someone who wants to rob a bank will probably be quite organized and will cover his or her face, but remember that not all crime is born equal and not all places are banks.
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2017 ---
    There's a big difference between a ceremonial dress (in this case it's not a burqa but a veil) and a regular dress.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Islam doesn't have a good track record on allowing women to choose what they wear. Some islamic establishments in France won't even serve women. They would probably say the women chose not to be included there as well.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Same goes in the US. I have a previous supervisor, a woman now retired, who married a very religious Egyptian. She was compelled to wear a full burqa, face covered, and she could not pass an object to a man without putting it on the table first. She was not allowed to talk without permission, and she could go only to Islamic schools to work.
    She wasn't the only non Muslim woman that had to do that... here in TX.
    She was able to divorce him after a very bad legal battle and after he kidnapped her two daughters bringing them to Jordan.

17. niploteksi macrumors regular

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

19. niploteksi macrumors regular

Why is dressing not optional?

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

This thread is about a European country's attempts to regulate what women can and cannot wear, and you didn't answer the question, how undressed must Western States force women to get before they are no longer oppressed?
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2017 ---
    Because the state has an interest in regulating women's clothes and wants to make sure they are sufficiently dressed, but not too covered up. And if you want to go further to one way or another from what the state wants you to do too bad.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Try to go around naked and see

22. Scepticalscribe, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

For once, I find myself completely on the side of those who lie to the right of the political spectrum.

Personally, I favour a burqa ban in the western world.

23. niploteksi macrumors regular

But going into those clubs is optional? In the sense that both Inga and Sten has that option?

24. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Yes it's optional. I have never been in one for example. My life is reasonably normal without going into one ever. Dressing is part of the regular order of life, and it can be reasonably stated that without dressing a regular, fully functional life can't be held.
    I truly wonder what are you trying to say.

25. niploteksi macrumors regular

I'd rather ban Islam than the burqa.