Austria Supreme Court Rules Employers Can Fire Those Who Wear A Veil

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Populism, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

2. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

Not sure how this would go down in the US, freedom of religion and all, but I guess freedom of religion does have limits. You can't marry more than one person at a time, even if your religion permits it, so there's that.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Shocking news. A European nation that actually has a pair. Such a rarity.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Yes, such a rarity.

5. sim667 macrumors 65816

Don't let facts get in the way of uninformed surprise though, will you?

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Curious what your stand is regarding freedom of religion?

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

As our courts have recently shown, freedom of religion isn't absolute. If a Christian baker can be forced to bake a cake for a gay wedding, why can't an employer require that an employee's face be visible.

8. Huntn, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

That's one way to frame it. I'll point out that we have anti-discrimination laws based on general categories (sex, sexual orientation, gender, religion, race) and that freedom of religion is only worshipping which God you fantasize about, not discriminating against others based on your religion.

The question might be why prohibit veils? For security concerns, maybe. How do you feel about bakers baking cakes for gays and veils?

Regarding religious veils, I'll say there are times such as going through a security check point where you will have to show your face to someone. I'll also observe we have millions of Muslims living in this country and see lots of Muslim out and about (at least I assume they are Muslim) and Muslim employees at the Minneapolis Airport and none of them wear veils. I don't know if this is mandated by their employers or they just don't feel the need to conform to this sexist religious dress standard or maybe they want to fit in... I don't know.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Why shouldn't employers be allowed to do that? She was already allowed to wear an Islamic overgarment and a headscarf. How much more accommodation does the employer need to make?

10. jerwin macrumors 65816

Are you implying that the choice to wear a headscarf is already an insolence, a breach of the due regard which a subordinate owes to her liege?

11. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Yes, and just like actual testicles, it is a weak point, not a strength.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'd say you need a reasonable reason to ban green shirts, or have a uniform standard. But still there are allowance made for religious practises. There are culture objections to veils, I understand that, but if the most outspoken group in the US, Christians claim to fight for the religious freedom standard, would they support this ruling or fight it? Personally there is philosophy vs practise. I dislike religious garb as a rule, but I won't ban it without a logical reason to do so.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Can we also fire *******s who wear flip-flops and make noise when walking in them?

14. DearthnVader macrumors regular

DearthnVader

15. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

If it is against the dress code stated in the company's policy, I say, HAIL YEAH! I would require EVERY employee who deals with a customer to dress as to no offend; that means NO frakking flip-flops. Behind the scene workers can dress any way they want, if I were a boss.

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

Christian bakers should not be forced to bake gay wedding cakes and there should be no ban on burkas or other religious clothing.
    Freedom means that the state has no right to tell you what to wear or do as long as you don't harm anyone.

17. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

No such thing exists. In 2016, it's a wedding cake. And yes, bakeries operating as licensed businesses have to make them. Get used to that.

18. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

you are "harming" someones civil rights in the first case though

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

I disagree.

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I agree to a point; however, the State also has an obligation to suppress clothing that is sexist, oppressive, and fundamentally at odds with America values.

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Employers are not States. Just like the baker should be able to bake for who he wants, so too should the employer be able to employ whoever they would like.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2016 ---
    Where in the Bill of Rights can I find "The Right to have a cake baked" ?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2016 ---
    What obligation?

22. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

It's not the cake per se, but you're refusing someone a service based on their sexual preference. It's the same as not providing a service to someone based on the color of their skin. Both things, neither can be controlled.

If this person was being rowdy or obnoxious, it's a different story.

23. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Until women across this country are given the right to walk around shirtless like men, spare me your righteous indignation.

24. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The ones that do, aren't the ones that anyone wants to see. I would prefer we all keep our tops on for the sake of every ones eyesight.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Yeah, that is totally what I'm saying. [/sarcasm]

The woman in the link is already wearing an Islamic overgarment and a headscarf. I think the employer has a right to say that her religious beliefs are already being accommodated and she should not be allowed to wear something that covers her face.