Authorities find 123 missing children in just ONE day during a Michigan sex trafficking operation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Solomani, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

2. Jason Honer Suspended

Jason Honer

Perhaps this is the one story where the lefties and righties don’t need to insult and attack each other. I was thinking of posting this one earlier today.

3. Solomani thread starter macrumors 68040

Solomani

There'e no need to bring up left-right politics into this.

This was a clear cut case of the good guys nab the bad guys. And the victims are recovered safely. If you've ever been a parent, you know that having your child missing/abducted is the worst thing ever. Maybe even worse than the death of your child. With a missing child, you don't have closure. It's like you dread that your kid may be dead and gone forever, and may never come back, but you just don't know where or how or why, you are tortured forever.

4. Jason Honer Suspended

Jason Honer

I’ve always known where my kid is. I will say child predators make me want to get my “vigilante” on, Frank Miller style.

5. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Glad they were caught. Sex trafficking of kids should be a long term behind bars.

6. Jason Honer Suspended

Jason Honer

The sad part is these kids will never be the same. I hate this crap.

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

It's a shame the trafficers didn't resist arrest

8. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

They have to save their strength for when it's time to shower in the prison.

...I hope the kids and their parents can heal and recover. I also hope these traffickers loathe every millisecond of their prison stay.

9. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Unbelievably wonderful news, but...

HOW the HECK were the villains able to hide and feed 123 children?!?!?!?!?!?

10. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

Containers and buying in bulk from Costco?

11. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

So, as it turns out, 119 of those kids were located at their own homes. They had been reported missing at some point, but their parents never updated the police when they came home. They actually found 4 missing kids.

https://amp.detroitnews.com/amp/1584201002

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

so the headline is basically fake news?

13. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

It’s still good news. 119 cases have been closed and resources can be used elsewhere.

14. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

Talk about irresponsible parenting!

Not for their children running away but for wasting resources by not telling authorities that oh, yea I found my child I reported missing so you can stop looking for them because they came home or they were found by someone else...

15. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It's not fake news. It's not necessarily bad journalism. It is, however, a very misleading headline.

The headline would lead one to believe that there were potentially hundreds of children in the Detroit area who had been snatched from their homes and sold into sexual slavery.

But you have to read down into the story to discover that, no, only a relative handful had been the victims of sexual abuse. And that moreover most of the "missing" children were, in fact, located at their homes. If there is an epidemic of anything, it's of poor record keeping and follow-up on the part of the law enforcement agencies concerned.

Think about it: If your child mysteriously vanished, and you felt that they were likely being sold into sex work - would you just file a report and wait around till the cops got back to you? If you were a police officer and you received a report of a kidnapping, would you just let the file gather dust?

Congratulations to the US Marshalls and local Detroit law enforcement. You got caught up on your paperwork.