Authorized User for AT&T Family Plan but not on Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amitdoc2b, Jun 16, 2010.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Hi.

I was wondering if I could be put down as an authorized user for an AT&T account that my mom, dad, and sister are on - even though I am not on the family plan itself and have a different mailing address (despite same last name).. I am over age 18 and have my own personal plan with AT&T and already upgraded my phone with an iPhone 4 pre-order.

I wanted to go in and get an iPhone 4 for my dad at an Apple, AT&T, Best Buy, or Radio Shack. All 3 of their lines are eligible for a discount iPhone 4 but just my dad wants it.

2. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Sure you can be added as a Retail Authorized User on their account. This type of user is just a name listed on the account other than the Primary Account Holder that can complete most transactions with / for in this their group plan.

You just provide your name and you will be required to provide a Photo ID ( Goverment Issued) at the AT&T Store. The challenge comes when you try to do this at the Apple store. The offical policy is that at Apple the Primary Account Holder needs to be present. Your experience at your local Apple store may vary but this is the official policy. :(

Here are a couple of helpful links for your review.

What is a Retail Authorized User?
    http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-...e=en_US&_dyncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB110035

How can I add a Retail Authorized User to my account?
    http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-...yncharset=UTF-8&solutionId=KB90110&isSrch=Yes

Dave

3. iPhone Addict macrumors 6502

If I am an authorized user on my family plan account and I am going to do an upgrade swap on launch day, does the person who is eligible for the upgrade (the primary account holder) need to be present for me to use his upgrade on my line?

Thank you.

4. Rm.237 macrumors 6502

This is my issue as well. Have my iPhone 4 reserved at my local Apple store but we put the phones in my wifes name. I'm an authorized user but she will be at work that day. Not to mention she's a nurse and is clocked in by 7:00 AM. I was planning on going to the Apple store today and asking them how their policy will affect my situation when I stumbled on this thread.