Auto Brightness on the iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RotaryP7, Apr 16, 2013.

1. RotaryP7 macrumors 6502a

Is it only me or did the auto brightness work better on prior models before the i5?

It works when it wants to now. Before I could see who sent me a text at 3AM and not get blinded by the light. The iPhone was bought 2 months ago. What's odd is that my buddy's iPhone 5 is having the same issue and he got his about a week ago. :(

2. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

For what it's worth it never works on my 4S (and yes it is on). I've toggled it, adjusted it, nothing makes it work. The auto brightness on my iPad 3 on the other hand is fabulous.

3. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

I have found the auto-brightness much better than my earlier 4S or 4-now it gradually adjusts rather than abrupt changes in earlier models.

4. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

auto did not work on my 4s for most of the time I think ios6 got it work for the first time. it worked pretty well. works well on ,my 5 but for when I pull it out of my pocket the screen can be dimmed for a few seconds after I hit the home button.

5. coolio93 macrumors 6502

For me auto brightness never used to work correctly until ios 6. Sometimes it takes a couple of seconds to brighten up the screen after taking it out of my pocket, but it hasn't failed me yet on ios 6. This is on an iphone 4, 4S, and 5

6. RotaryP7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually you guys are right. Auto Brightness never really worked until iOS 6 w/ my 4S. But now on my 5, it's back like before.. Could it be the updates? I'm guessing it's an ongoing issue. Hopefully it gets fixed. :rolleyes:

7. SoLongAndroid macrumors member

My original 5 was very slow to react. I had an issue with the home button on the third day so I did a straight refund instead of exchange, and bought a different one. It has worked perfectly except when I respring with springtomize it will stay dark unless I manually adjust it.

It will sound silly, but I once had my phone like 8 feet away and got a text message so I pointed my flashlight at it from my desk and it went to the brightest setting, I still couldn't see who it was from so had to get up anyway, but it worked.

8. maxosx macrumors 68020

My 4S is the only iPhone it's worked well on. Very well.

My iPhone 5 is so bad I turned auto brightness off. Now at least it stays at a constant level. Switched on it constantly changes even under the same ambient light level.

It's rather odd that Apple can't implement a system that works.

All my Androids work great. It's apparent Samsung is more detail oriented. With some luck perhaps Apple will learn from them. Samsung is doing a great job. It's both impressive as well as encouraging.

Seeing the success Samsung is experiencing and enjoying their phones may inspire Apple to improve. I know they can if they focus. I'd sure like to see Apple create something exciting.

9. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

If you use google maps navigation it goes to hell. Bug.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Auto-brightness hardly works on my iPhone 5. I have to lock my phone then unlock it for it to adjust and even then its very minor. My 4S worked perfectly. Going from a dark room to sunlight immediately adjusted it without any problems.

11. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

I had problems at first but found the solution here and now it works quite well. Be darned if I recall what it was though. :eek:

12. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

On the iphone 4 the auto brightness was buggy but after update it started working properly, on the iphone 5 is working perfect since day one :rolleyes:

13. ElBerryKM13 macrumors regular

I have used 4 different iphone 5's snd they all have buggy auto brightness. My previous iphone 4 worked really good. In fact this and the horrible battery life are the only thing i hate about ip5.

14. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

It never worked on my iPhone 4 either. I think it works really good on my iPhone. Similar to my iPad Mini.

15. PollyK macrumors regular

Always have my phone on 3/4 brightness all the time. Auto is useless. Not sure why people use auto brightness, I've never seen it work effectively on any device.

16. Bear macrumors G3

I keep it about where you do. If you could set limits on the brightness range for auto brightness, it might be useful.

17. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

You can set a limit, search youtube for the video on how to correctly set the auto-brightness on the iPhone 5.

18. FlorisVR macrumors newbie

It's because auto-brightness works different in iOS6. On iOS 5 and software before that, the iPhone would set the brightness according to the amount of light at that moment, when going into a brighter environment it would then light up. On iOS 6 on the iPhone 5, you would have to calibrate the brightness a little bit. So to calibrate it, take it to a dark room, and set the brightness to the level you want. Then also set it for different lighter environments. The iPhone will then remember this.

19. TC03 macrumors 65816

It works differently in iOS 6. Prior to iOS 6, you could set the brightness to a 'maximum', and the brightness would adjust without adjusting the position of the slider.

In iOS 6, auto brightness really adjusts the position of the slider. Much better imo.

20. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

With Auto-Brightness turned ON, set by going into a dark room and choosing your preferred brightness level. Then go into a bright room and set the brightness again for that situation (if daytime, go outdoors for max brightness). The Auto-Brightness should adjust from then on, based on the light where you are. You can test it (I just tested mine) by opening Settings > Brightness and then moving your iPhone close to a lamp bulb. You'll see the slider move toward the max setting and then down when you move back into lower light. The slider moves toward bright faster than it dims.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If the auto-brightness acts up on my iPhones, a simply sleep and wake will fix it.

22. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I've used Auto Brightness on my 5, and it just doesn't work. Never adjusts.

23. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

24. iALLOUT4eva macrumors regular

iALLOUT4eva

I have had the 3g 3gs and 4 before my 5. All pf them never wprked properly but my i5 works great!

25. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro