Auto column widths in finder? For the love of God

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by kirkbross, Mar 10, 2014.

1. kirkbross, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014

kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Is there a way to set it so all columns always 'snap' to the width of the longest item in the column? Period. All finder columns. All folders. Always. No matter what size the window is.

When I open a finder, the file name column often takes up 90% of the window width, with date, size, etc. only visible if manually enlarge the window, or manually make the name column smaller so more columns can fit. It seems insane that this not the default setting. I sometimes have a folder filled with files with very short file names, yet the name column takes up the whole window.

Or more accurately, when I try to enlarge a finder window to reveal more columns, it just enlarges the name column. Hey Mavericks... I don't have 400 character long file names. Thanks.

2. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Interesting... I'll have to try that.

Still, shocking there isn't a GUI way to tweak this behavior built-in.

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

There is an app that just does the snap. It works pretty good but not so much on open/save dialogs in some apps. I use it and now can't find the name of it. If anyone know please post it in case you don't want to have to run xtrafinder.

4. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

One of my pet peeves. It shouldn't be necessary to add a third party program to do what should be basic OS functionality.

5. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

How about the problem that OSX can't remember Finder window sizes most of the time?

6. aggri1 macrumors 6502

Yeah the MacOS X 'Finder' has always been crap compared to the classic Finder in this regard. Really gives me the irit's too. I just don't understand the 'browsing' mentality in the file management context.