Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FilmIndustryGuy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 12, 2015
Manhattan Beach, CA
Hello fellow cult members. What is the easiest way to setup auto wifi off when leaving home and then auto wifi on when coming back? Dont want wifi draining battery when im away.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hello fellow cult members. What is the easiest way to setup auto wifi off when leaving home and then auto wifi on when coming back? Dont want wifi draining battery when im away.
It really shouldn't be draining when you are away or anything like that.

That aside, you can potentially look into Siri Shortcuts that are in iOS 12 to see if something there might be able to help out with something like that (although it likely still wouldn't be automatic).

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
I guess just turn off you’re WiFi from the control center widget. I can’t figure out these stupid shortcuts especially when it comes to adding a location with it and I’m very tech savvy.

Vlad.E.

Suspended
Oct 4, 2017
Never had an issue with battery drain when not connected to WiFi.
If you having battery drain issue, the problem is caused by something else.

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
I guess just turn off you’re WiFi from the control center widget. I can’t figure out these stupid shortcuts especially when it comes to adding a location with it and I’m very tech savvy.
Control Centre doesn't turn off wifi/BT radios. You need to go into Settings for that.

@OP:
1. You should probably use Low Power Mode if your'e that concerned about battery drain...

2. Shortcuts app allows you to disable the radio, and add a Siri voice command to it. You can't automate it. No 3rd party automation method will work either.

Packdude

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2010
Another setting to check is to make sure that your wifi setting for "Ask to Join Networks" is turned off. It would still automatically join a known network if one was in range. What kind of battery drain are you seeing? As mentioned previously, if you are seeing significant battery drain, there's a good chance that it is something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.