Automatically add to iTunes messed up my entire music collection

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spammolo, Sep 15, 2013.

1. spammolo macrumors newbie

So I decided to try the "Automatically add to iTunes" folder thinking that it was going to be like a "watch folder" feature present in many other mp3 players (the lack of which is the only reason I've never used iTune as primary player).

How foolish I was to think Apple would have let me manage my file system! Even if the "keep iTunes folder organized" option was disabled iTunes started to move and rename all my files using its own retarded conventions, creating a million folders for the several GB of spare songs I've been collecting in the last 10+ years.

Most of the music was purchased from digital stores and properly tagged but many, many other files were coming from old CD I ripped, friends, independent bands releasing stuff on the internet, or even from the pre-iTunes era so they had information only in the containing folders that I always named carefully and that now have been wiped out.

To make things worse, iTunes decided to move ALL the files it couldn't play into a generic "Not Added" folder, everything from .ogg, .mpc and .flac files plus images, booklets and playlist. So now I have a huge mess that will take me days to restore, I attach a picture just to give you an idea (that's only the beginning of a million of tracks number one).
    [​IMG]

What the **** were they thinking? Why didn't their bloated piece of **** software told me something like: "Warning: this will **** you up your entire file system".

I understand this is the price for not bowing to Apple fascist protocols of music consumption and I understand there's nothing I can do once files are automatically moved and scrambled but I thought I should leave a note here for the posterity. Maybe somebody will look this up before trying...:mad:

2. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

This is really sad that this happened:

a couple of things to note through:

iTunes does not play FLAC.

Anything "Automatic" really sucks and is a risky thing to do.

Another thing I noticed is for example 01 - Songtitel.mp3 -> doesn't iTunes usally make it 01 Songtitel.mp3?

Also sometimes albums are tagged as Compliations, it helps to uncheck that and to add to the Sort Names section.

I have always tagged my music ever since Windows 95 and OS9, Linux and so on and every time I drop it into iTunes it seems to sort it right?

Anyways, good luck and remember -> Backups, Backups, Backups!