Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimmyMac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2002
St. Louis
Real dumb question here folks.

Does anyone know how to set up OS X to automatically mount a server on my LAN automatically? I tried to put an alias of a mounted share in the startup items list, but of course that didn't work.

Do I have to write a script?

Draft

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
Re: Automatically mount a server at Login

Originally posted by JimmyMac
Real dumb question here folks.

Does anyone know how to set up OS X to automatically mount a server on my LAN automatically? I tried to put an alias of a mounted share in the startup items list, but of course that didn't work.

Do I have to write a script?

That would be the only way that I know of. AppleScript.

Draft

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Re: Automatically mount a server at Login

Originally posted by JimmyMac

One would think it would be that easy! (As well it should be, in my opinion.) But noooo. The only way I've been able to get it to work is via Apple Script, like Draft said. I understand how it can be a security risk to automatically login, but still, I think they should give us that choice don't you?

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: Re: Automatically mount a server at Login

Originally posted by Hemingray

One would think it would be that easy! (As well it should be, in my opinion.) But noooo. The only way I've been able to get it to work is via Apple Script, like Draft said. I understand how it can be a security risk to automatically login, but still, I think they should give us that choice don't you?

I would say it is more likely that they just have not implimented it into the OS yet. Maybe 10.2?????

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
It was the same story in OS 9 as well. I had to find a prefab Apple Script that automatically unlocks your keychain at startup so the finder could have access to it without bothering me every time.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
RE: JimmyMac

When you say auto mount the remote drive, are you including the login? I think you can have it auto mount but you will be promted for your log and pass to the remote server unless there is a way for OS X to make a sared non-password non-login drive or directory. I know In OS 9, AppleTalk attemps to log you into remote drives. Possibly you can set the permisions on the drive/directory very loosly like a chmod 777 /YourSharedDisk. I know I could do it with nfsmount with Solaris. But then again... I would just make it a world sharable drive and then write a one line shell script to mount it at boot time on the client.

Post #800!

-evildead

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.