Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

equalsabracket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Well this is what i've managed so far, and this would be used as an iCal event every morning to start it all off.

Music starts through iTunes. In the 40 second intro to the song, the computer voice starts talking:

Good Morning Andrew. Today is Monday 3rd May. The time is 7:10am. Today, you start college at 9am.

I would like to have more info in there though. What i'm wanting mainly is the temperature and the weather. Would this be possible? I live in the UK, so a site that does UK temperature (weather.com is fine, and so are most of them) is needed.

Anybody know how to do this?

RubbishBBspeed

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
Like the opening scene of the film 'The Island". now if you where to roll over would Scarlet Johansson be there????????

equalsabracket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Anybody got any idea how to do this?

I watched that movie today btw, thought it was good.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
I could probably whip something like this together. But you give me a more structured workflow? And you want iCal to trigger the script right?

equalsabracket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
I could probably whip something like this together. But you give me a more structured workflow? And you want iCal to trigger the script right?

Well this is the workflow i already have in automator:

http://cl.ly/n0W

Tell me if it's badly made, i'm not an expert at Automator.

The pause is so it ends in time with the lyrics starting on the song i was testing it with, by the way.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
So you just want to add the weather?

Here I am writing it in AppleScript!

Where about are you in the UK?

equalsabracket

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
So you just want to add the weather?

Here I am writing it in AppleScript!

Where about are you in the UK?

Yeah, that's what I'm wanting. I PM'd you with my town and postcode.

Could you get the temperature in degrees C too, please?

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
I was going to write the whole thing in AppleScript, but it seems you had much of it done it Automator.

I pm'ed you my modifications with instructions. I did indeed get the weather in C, I also did some other magic :D

mollipop

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
Wow, I've been wanting to figure out how to do this for a year now. calderone, would you mind publicly posting that weather script you whipped up for the OP?

Unfortunately I'm very new at programming so I'd have to work out the kinks anyway—Automator is quite foreign to me.

ziggychris

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2010
That sounds great. Just the thought of thing i would love to get too. I would be so grateful if one of you could share how to do that with me, as i am pretty clueless myself, but it's something i would love.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.