Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Just a note - that is the *highest* review score I have seen for what is largely being called a typically mediocre film tie-in game. I assume that the reviewer was a fanboy of the film and so hyped up as to ignore the issues.

Of course, based on your own excitement for the film, you might be able to also get swept past all of the flaws. ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Honestly for the game, I'd expect no more. But as the most expensive movie ever made, or so they say, I'm expecting something. Plus the director has a very good track record.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Honestly for the game, I'd expect no more. But as the most expensive movie ever made, or so they say, I'm expecting something. Plus the director has a very good track record.

Yes he does, but how big is the movie really going to be? My thoughts are based on pure speculation of course, but I have a friend who works for one of the largest movie theaters in the Dallas area and they sold all of 15 tickets to the midnight showing Wednesday night. Of course many will argue that it was because it's in the middle of the week, but truth-be-told movies are generally only released midweek instead of on Fridays when they think they need a couple extra days to make enough money to sound successful.

From what I heard, this movie had a budget of approximately $500 million, give or take a little. I seriously doubt it will make close to that much back, no matter how successful Titanic was.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY

I have read some reviews, and it seems like beyond the OMIGAWD OMIGAWD OMIGAWD graphics there is some very flimsy and cheesy plotting - including the core story being based on obtaining the 'save the earth' element called ...

... wait for it ...

Unobtainium?!?!

And the rest is an ultra-generic man trashed the earth, finds saving compound amid race of peaceful beings unlike us, earth faction split over whether to befriend or destroy the beings, with the whole pile-on of preachy stuff and evil-empire stuff and a love interest to split the loyalty of the hero ...

Can it *really* be that generic and already-been-done?

And didn't I just play that movie on my PSP called Mytran Wars?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have read some reviews, and it seems like beyond the OMIGAWD OMIGAWD OMIGAWD graphics there is some very flimsy and cheesy plotting - including the core story being based on obtaining the 'save the earth' element called ...

... wait for it ...

Unobtainium?!?!

And the rest is an ultra-generic man trashed the earth, finds saving compound amid race of peaceful beings unlike us, earth faction split over whether to befriend or destroy the beings, with the whole pile-on of preachy stuff and evil-empire stuff and a love interest to split the loyalty of the hero ...

Can it *really* be that generic and already-been-done?

And didn't I just play that movie on my PSP called Mytran Wars?

Are you asking if unobtanium is obtainable? I'll know at show time of 18:20 CST. Now you have me concerned... Fingers still crossed. Please don't let this be sucky... :cool:

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Are you asking if unobtanium is obtainable? I'll know at show time of 18:20 CST. Now you have me concerned... Fingers still crossed. Please don't let this be sucky... :cool:

I wouldn't worry too much - from most of the reviews, so long as you just sit back and let the visual spectacle sweep over you, you'll have a thrilling experience ... just don't think too much or expect any answers to deeper questions ... ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I wouldn't worry too much - from most of the reviews, so long as you just sit back and let the visual spectacle sweep over you, you'll have a thrilling experience ... just don't think too much or expect any answers to deeper questions ... ;)

Ok, just saw it. This movie has the most incredible, cutting edge, cinematic CGI I've ever seen and it illustrates how special effects are now in many cases photogenic, indistinguishable from something that could be real. It's a blend of live action and animation (if you did not know).The environment of Pandora is incredible. Even has some WoW floaty mountain action going on. It is a spectacle. :)

It has an acceptable although not an original story to support it, think human race ruined their own planet now they want to ruin yours, think bad corporation taking advantage of indigenous people, and/or think (spoiler: Dances With Wolves :end spoiler).

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm not impressed by this YouTube game video. It is interesting that the highlighted missions are soldiers and mechs shooting up the fauna and flora. Maybe there is more to the game than this.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I bought the game because it was cheap €20 (as opposed to €55) on PS3 the other day.

It looks pretty. Controls are awkward. Framerate is less than desirable. Gameplay is mediocre.

The split point in the game where you decide to become NAVI or HUMAN is not explained and really jarring as it comes just after basically a glorified tutorial.

Its ok as movie game tie-ins go, but it's definetly only worth picking up at bargain basement prices.

Will go to see film during the holidays.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Will go to see film during the holidays.

Please report back what you think. Despite the story not being original, when it comes to exploration on a new planet, it could very well be a real story, as it has happened many times through the course of human history. The visuals are incredible. The story flow is good and the ending was satisfying for me.

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
FernGully HD ???

The world of avatar is a stunning 3d experience. at least 10 times i was like " year right .. no way" when the 3d plants and animals were in the foreground. The visuals were unlike any other 3D I have ever seen ( MJ's Captin EO @ disney land included). The only draw back is the undefined story which leaves you guessing as to what the real purpose of the movie is, which is kinda nice because you can interpret it as you wish. I felt like it related mostly to the movie FERNGULLY, but with addition of sigourney weaver, if felt a little like ALIENS (#2) with the mechs + Matrix 3 ish. Overall I enjoyed the movie and even the $11.50 ticket price isn't seen as a loss for this great visual experience. A true bar raiser.

if you haven't seen it, GO NOW! don't miss out on history. :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The world of avatar is a stunning 3d experience. at least 10 times i was like " year right .. no way" when the 3d plants and animals were in the foreground. The visuals were unlike any other 3D I have ever seen ( MJ's Captin EO @ disney land included). The only draw back is the undefined story which leaves you guessing as to what the real purpose of the movie is, which is kinda nice because you can interpret it as you wish. I felt like it related mostly to the movie FERNGULLY, but with addition of sigourney weaver, if felt a little like ALIENS (#2) with the mechs + Matrix 3 ish. Overall I enjoyed the movie and even the $11.50 ticket price isn't seen as a loss for this great visual experience. A true bar raiser.

Are you a fan of 3D? We specifically went to see the 2D version. I saw Beowolf in 3D and was not happy with it. When I think of 3D, I think of something that has depth, but looks like the 3D world looks through my eyes, within the frame of the screen. I don't like the manipulated look of 3D movies, especially things sticking out over my head. It takes away from the experience as I don't want the distraction. :)

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY

Definitely see it *now*, because the *second* something else with similar CGI comes along everyone will see this as the crap-with-eye-candy that it is, and it will take its' place in the ranks of over-rated gimmicks that it is. Stunning, sure ... but not much better than the craptastic Transformers movies.

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
Are you a fan of 3D? We specifically went to see the 2D version. I saw Beowolf in 3D and was not happy with it. When I think of 3D, I think of something that has depth, but looks like the 3D world looks through my eyes, within the frame of the screen. I don't like the manipulated look of 3D movies, especially things sticking out over my head. It takes away from the experience as I don't want the distraction. :)

I am not a big fan of 3D since the glasses usually give me a headache, but this movie's 3D had a good sense of depth, the cryo chamber scene in particular, though sometimes it was a little blurry. I think there was a point that you were supposed to focus on in the scene. Not too much over you head stuff, but the depth in the movie was what I was impressed with, not the depth of story.

Definitely see it *now*, because the *second* something else with similar CGI comes along everyone will see this as the crap-with-eye-candy that it is, and it will take its' place in the ranks of over-rated gimmicks that it is. Stunning, sure ... but not much better than the craptastic Transformers movies.

Agreed. this movie's story was lacking. lots of gloss and flare but now real expression of an Idea. At least the first half of the movie wasn't about how hot megan fox is, like the first Transformers movie. I went to see it and fell asleep in the theater just before "the good parts". Why are people so focused on visuals now a days and not on the quality of a story. It is comparable to some architecture/design these days, it is more about the complexity of form than the communication of spacial relationships/ideas.

People are scared to create fire, for they may be burned at the stake by their brothers whom they taught to light that fire.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

You are assuming the next CGI movie will have a story that meets your standards. :p BTW, I thought the first Transformer movie was pretty good, although I'm probably not as picky as you are about story lines.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
You are assuming the next CGI movie will have a story that meets your standards. :p BTW, I thought the first Transformer movie was pretty good, although I'm probably not as picky as you are about story lines.

Not really - what I am saying is that pretty much everyone agrees that Transformers is a mindless action-flick with some T&A tossed in (by a terrible actress who thinks too much of herself) ... but some seem to refer to Avatar as though it was something different ... as though the correct amount of eye-candy can somehow make all of the lacking quality elsewhere acceptable. I have no problem with Avatar as a awesome looking spectacle which is good looking enough to distract you from the fact that it is just another braindead action flick with a totally recycled plot ...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Film is far better than the game...

Enjoyed the film, game is so so. Finished it and traded it in for BUZZ on PS3 :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not really - what I am saying is that pretty much everyone agrees that Transformers is a mindless action-flick with some T&A tossed in (by a terrible actress who thinks too much of herself) ... but some seem to refer to Avatar as though it was something different ... as though the correct amount of eye-candy can somehow make all of the lacking quality elsewhere acceptable. I have no problem with Avatar as a awesome looking spectacle which is good looking enough to distract you from the fact that it is just another braindead action flick with a totally recycled plot ...

Since they had to start with a toy that starts as a robot and turns into your favorite car, I thought they did a pretty good job of coming up with a story to back it up, so I would not agree that it is totally mindless. ;) The only real technical question I would have asked is how do they explain the different character masses from say a new Camaro into Bumblebee...

You can really get into a nit picky discussion about what makes a good story and a lot of it boils down to personal preference. Alien- Freighter crew sent to planet to investigate new life form without their consent. One survives. Aliens- Marines sent to planet to figure out what happened to evil corporation's mining crews on same planet... well Aliens got them. Double crossing evil corporations? That pops up a lot in stories. So how original does a story have to be to be enjoyable?

For Avatar, considering the creator, honestly I was hoping for something more original. Not simply a might-makes-right story, let's us technically savvy types, screw the indigenous species, while the hero goes native. But that story has happened for real many times through human history. Last time I saw a variation of it was Dancing With Wolves. It was not mindless, but it was not original either. However there was a twist in the end. spoiler>The underdogs win.<spoiler. I still enjoyed the gee wizz effect which you alluded to. Now I'm going to have to see this movie again, before I can decided if it meets my "buy" criteria.

mattyuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Cumbria
I seen it this morning. I bloody loved it. Dunno why people are complaining about the story, I thought it was beautifully done. I like the vision of Cameron in this, nearly every concept was superb.
The bond between the Na'vi and there horse type creatures. (sorry i cant remember the real name of them lol)
the whole eco system idea was brilliant.

For me it was like watching The Matrix and A Scanner Darkly in one film. With some truly mind-bending visuals. Awesome film!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Because it is cliche piled on cliche that has been done thousands of times before ... and most of the times it was done better?

Your not prone to exaggeration are you? I'm trying to think of the last movie about the Na'vi being exploited. :p (Just ignore me.) ;)

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Your not prone to exaggeration are you? I'm trying to think of the last movie about the Na'vi being exploited. :p (Just ignore me.) ;)

Are you serious? I mean, you really aren't suggesting that the 'evil human corporation/government exploits indigenous people who are one with nature', but there is a crossover element, a love plot, and conflict' plot hasn't been done to death? That putting aside the obvious Ferngully rip-off that has been well documented, Dances With Wolves, Naussica, and so on ...

As well as many many scenes that are nearly torn straight out of other movies?

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
I feel sad for nerds who cannot enjoy this landmark film because of something they read on the internet. It seems like everyone is stuck on 'Unobtanium' and the originality of the story. You know, all the stories you have ever heard are variations of a few other stories; it is how a story gets told that makes it impressive or not and how the story in Avatar is told is worth the price of a movie ticket and three hours of your lives. This is not gimmicky 3D; it is the film that is making 3D cinema mainstream. Stop trying to look smart by pooping on an epic movie that most reviewers and cinema audiences are raving about and just go enjoy yourselves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.