Average Consumers are so uninformed about "Lightning" Connector

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Want300, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

On the Today show this morning, they basically talked about the new dock connector as being Apple's greedy way to get more money from the consumer. Especially when you listen to the "random" on the street interviews.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/49030836#49030836

As far as I understood it, the iPhone needed the 8-Pin connector (plus ground to make 9) in order to function with accessories as well as it had in the past. For audio out, control, video, etc... We saw that with the article from the Industrial designer that was posted in another thread.

http://thetechblock.com/the-foolproof-dock-connector

I feel like Apple should have stressed that more.

2. BmoreDrumGuy macrumors regular

I agree. Lots of confusion out there, and Apple hasn't done a whole lot to inform and educate about this new adapter. I know I'm fairly confused by it.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Do you honestly think that people are going to understand (or care about) the tech specs of an accessory cable? People buy stupid stuff all the time, dropping $30 on a cable isn't going to be earth shattering.

4. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

I think it is mainly the fact that Apple is charging $29 for a 30-pin to 'lightning' adapter.

Thats a cash move on Apple's part to satisfy its profit game, but you would hope that they would try to not make even more $$$ off of customers that have already bought the iPhone 4, 4s, etc.

Although even if they priced it without any profit margin (say $10) people would still complain ;)

5. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I agree for the most part but sometimes the "public" gets up in arms over some small stuff. just look at the uproar a few years back over ATM fees.

I for one am a little disapointed that there will not be 1 adapter included with each new iPH5. Not that i can not buy one (one is all I would need), just thought that one should be included.

6. chad2ss macrumors newbie

I know that I am definitely unhappy about it. I have 8-10 different docks, chargers, plugs, etc. and this makes them all worthless without a $30 adapter that you can't buy until October. Plus it makes the phone stand up even higher (in docks) and will stress the connector. UGH

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Pennies compared to what cell companies are making off of you.

8. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Yeah I agree, but people don't like change at all... ESPECIALLY when it costs them more money.

Prime example: Verizon recently trying to play the profit game and start charging $2 per transaction for people to pay their bill online :rolleyes:

People got up in arms over that, to the point that Verizon eventually backed off trying to nickle-and-dime those trying to give them money. Apple nickle-and-diming customers with the profits off this adapter is probably no different in the eyes of the consumer.

9. Want300 thread starter macrumors 65816

Want300

Yea, that is very true... I hope the adapter is sturdy while it is holding the phone.

I would prefer the $39 version with the 0.2 meter cable in between the connectors for my car because the iPhone hookup in my car is SOOOO short.

Yea, and remember when practically EVERY phone had its own charger, even within the same brand.

----------

They did not need to give them specs, they just should have explained why MicroUSB would not work with some accessories properly due to the lack of pins/control required. They could find a way to make it easily understandable for the average consumer.

10. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I think it's more of way to get accessory makers to update their products: the cheaper the price of the adapter, the more likely people will buy it. Therefore, accessory makers won't feel the pressure to update to the Lightning connector because everyone will have adapters.

When I heard rumors of a $10 30-Pin adapter, I felt like that it would have hindered the adaption of the Lightning connector. At $10, I'm sure accessory makers would probably include them with their Docks/Speakers/Etc.

11. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I don't understand what everyone is up in arms about. It's not like Apple is making you buy the adaptors. There is a lightning to USB cable with the phone and the phone charger itself which is probably the same little cube thing you plug into the wall. So you will get the lightning to USB cord and then the small charger which you plug the USB part of the cord into, or you could plug the USB part of the cord into your Mac or PC. The cord Apple is selling is for those that want a second cord. The other adaptors available allow your iPhone 5 to be used with other accessories.

If this were any other phone company it would not be a big deal. Some companies change their adaptors and ports with every single new incarnation. Apple has been using the same 30 pin connector on every iPod, iPhone and iPad for the past decade or so. It is time for a change.

I had the iPhone 3G with the charging dock, the iPhone 4 comes out, I have to get a new charging dock. The iPad had a charging dock, the second iPad comes out, different charging dock. Things change, either roll with it or don't. Nobody said you had to buy the docks anyway. Same with other peripherals. At least they are making an adaptor so you could still use it.

As for me I have an iHome clock radio, But I rarely stick my iPhone 4 in it, but it is the home of my former iPhone 3G. Once I get the iPhone 5, the iHome will probably be the home for the iPhone 4. The iPhone 3G might get retired or moved to the car, where I have a USB port built in that right now is home to my iPod Classic. My old iPhone 4 will still be usable with the exception of the phone part. It will still do everything else it does now, except make and receive phone calls. The new dock on the iPhone 5 does not make all my peripherals and my old iPhone completely unusable. My iPhone 4 will now become my iPod and a photo viewer more than anything. Remember just because you bought a new iPhone doesn't render your replaced product is completely unusable.

Before the iPhone, everytime I bought a new phone or electronic device it had a different adaptor. The iPhone 5 will be my 3rd iPhone in a little over 4 years, I can't tell you how many other phones or adaptors I went through before the iPhone. I think I can manage this one little change.

12. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend