Average repair time for faulty airport card on UMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by runebinder, Oct 8, 2009.

1. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Hi, I had to take my late 2008 15" MBP in for repair as the Airport card had failed. Don't have an Apple store in Nottingham so have done it through an Apple Authorised Service Centre KRCS; at their shop in the town centre. Their head quarters where they do their repairs is also in Nottingham, literally a 15-20 minutes drive away.

So I took it in on the 19th Sept, so will be 3 weeks this Saturday and still have not heard anything. What I would like to hear is, if you've also experienced the same fault, how long did it take to get your airport card fixed? If anyone has had it done by KRCS in the UK that'd be very interesting.

2. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

2 to 3 weeks is the norm for computer repairs.

From experience when that happens is because apple does not have the airport card in stock at the warehouses, the logistics company haven't shipped the airport card, they found another problem with the MBP or the same problem persists even with a new airport so just call me up to make sure the status of the laptop. :apple:

3. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

When I had a 15" late 2008 MBP my Airport card failed. It took about 4 business days to have that issue resolved at the West 14th st Apple store.

I was pissed that they couldnt do it that day since I could have likely ordered the miniPCI card and replaced it myself in about the same amount of time they took. How could anything take 2-3 weeks? :confused:

4. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

I agree that 2-3 weeks if the usual time frame given for a repair, I work for a PC repair company myself, however for something like this you'd expect a quicker turn around. Parts can be problematic, but I've seen quicker turn around at my place for wireless issues when the part has been on backorder.
    I've had no other issues with my MBP and did an AHT when the problem started and no problems were detected.

I'm willing to bet we deal with more units to repair, and as they're windows machines a far wider range of manufacturer's and associated parts.

3 weeks and still not to of heard anything seems a bit on the slow side to me, also when I emailed them late last week they just said it was at the repair centre, if the part is OOS you'd have thought it'd be decent customer service and courtesy to mention that.

5. runebinder thread starter macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Finally got it back today, now a bit more forgiving about the time frame after finding out what they had to do. Apparently the fitted a new Airport card but that didn't fix the issue, so they then fitted a new logic board, still didn't fix the issue, so then they replaced the display. 3 weeks for that seems reasonable lol.