AVI conversion

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
4,206
0
San Destin Florida
Well, I need to convert and AVI file to MPEG so that I can make a VCD to play in my DVD player. Any ideas on how to do this on a Mac. I have found various converts for Winblows, but nothing for the mac. Any help would be great.
 

mr.w

macrumors regular
May 17, 2002
175
0
Colorado
I'm pretty sure you can do that in iTunes. Someone told me that once, but I've never tried that. I think you would just import the AVI file into iTunes, select it, then goto advanced in the menu bar and select "convert to MP3." Again, I'm not sure though... never tried it just a thought
 

britboy

macrumors 68030
Nov 4, 2001
2,656
0
Kent, UK
Originally posted by mr.w
I'm pretty sure you can do that in iTunes. Someone told me that once, but I've never tried that. I think you would just import the AVI file into iTunes, select it, then goto advanced in the menu bar and select "convert to MP3." Again, I'm not sure though... never tried it just a thought

Sorry, don't mean to be rude, but you have no f***ing clue what you're on about. iTunes doesn't have anything to do with avi's, mpeg's or the like. It deals with sound files, and nothing else.

b2tm~ if you have toast titanium installed on your mac, then you should have a codec which allows you to export from either iMovie of quicktime, to Video CD. If you don't have it, then it's a little more complicated.
 

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
3,338
0
down in Fraggle Rock
if you have QT pro it is pretty easy. just open the avi file in QT. and export the file to toast vcd (that makes an mpeg file). takes some time... (i am assuming you have a divx codec in place).
 

mr.w

macrumors regular
May 17, 2002
175
0
Colorado
Originally posted by britboy



Sorry, don't mean to be rude, but you have no f***ing clue what you're on about. iTunes doesn't have anything to do with avi's, mpeg's or the like. It deals with sound files, and nothing else.

b2tm~ if you have toast titanium installed on your mac, then you should have a codec which allows you to export from either iMovie of quicktime, to Video CD. If you don't have it, then it's a little more complicated.
oops, you're right, I was thinking of wav and mp3 files... my bad.
 

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
3,156
0
You can use Avi2Mov but the sound can be unreliable that way. I have a program called Divx Doctor that converts them too.
 

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
4,556
0
Natick, MA
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
if you have QT pro it is pretty easy. just open the avi file in QT. and export the file to toast vcd (that makes an mpeg file). takes some time... (i am assuming you have a divx codec in place).
You beat me to the punch :p ... I was going to suggest using QT pro. That could be a reason to upgrade to the pro version, if nothing else. I have the pro version, more to allow me to save online quicktime clips then anything else.
 

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
5,403
0
In my strong opinion Avi2Mov s!!!! !!!! coverter of all time. I haven't tried Divx Doctor, but if I need to I will try if I need to, since I have heard very few negative reviews about it. If anything, I would get Divx Doctor for conversions.
__________________

Fear the King.
 

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
9,591
3
serendipity
Originally posted by AlphaTech
I have the pro version, more to allow me to save online quicktime clips then anything else.
ahh, the porn thing.... gotcha :D


also be a bit weary about the vcd playing on the dvd player. most newer dvd players will play them. but not all. just so you know. though i'm guessing you have tried it in the past. as for converting. i thought that maybe even toast would do it when you went to burn. but i could be wrong. either way, qt pro would work.
 

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
3,338
0
down in Fraggle Rock
Alpha: i just want to say you have been much cooler lately.

Divx doctor is very good and fast, but it created 3vix files. im not sure if you could use these for your vcds. could be wrong though. if it does work then divx doctor would be the fastest way off doing things. it cranks through a feature film in a minute or two, whereas extracting mpeg using qt can take hours.
 

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
4,206
0
San Destin Florida
Well, it is not porn jello ;)

I have tried to convert with AVI2MOV and Divx doctor, and neither will work. took it to my neighbors and on his Dell, it will take 3 hours to do half of the movie. So, I am trying it on my systems here. I am doing it under VPC and it will be the same speed as his Dell. I was converting to VCD. I have toast, but not QT pro. I guess I have to buy it, as it sounds the easiest.

Thanks
 

mr.w

macrumors regular
May 17, 2002
175
0
Colorado
Originally posted by britboy



Sorry about that. I was in insomniac mode :p
no problem... it's good that you take out your aggression on the internet rather then on your dog or cat or girlfriend :)