AVI movies won't play correctly in Quicktime, or burn correctly in iDVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrat93, Jul 3, 2008.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Suddenly, movies with a ".avi" extension will not play any audio in Quicktime. I have tried these files on a different computer and they worked there. My sound is on. If I convert the file in VisualHub, it works fine. If I burn an AVI file on a DVD for DVD playback, it still doesn't play sound. Maybe if I burn the file with a different format, it will work on a DVD. What is the best method (through VisualHub) to keep the same file size and will allow it to still fit on a DVD?

2. Babooshka macrumors 6502

Babooshka

3. ihabime macrumors 6502

AVI is just a container, it can hold all kinds of video and audio formats, divx, xvid, h264, mp2, mp3, ac3. If you don't have the correct codec installed either the audio or the video won't play. Perian is probably the simplest solution it covers most of the codecs you'll need.

4. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

What's VLC?

I just installed that, I still have the same problems. I'd probably need to install it in the future anyway. Thanks!

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This is VLC.

Check the computer where everything works to see which QuickTime codecs are installed on it.

6. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Actually it's a Dell.
    With Windows Media Player.

7. ihabime macrumors 6502

ahh, If you have windows you should download Gspot, it's a great utility that tells you what codecs a video file uses. I haven't found a good equivalent on OSX.

8. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

What I'm saying is... It doesn't work on my Mac, but it does work on my Windows machines.

9. SmartIndianKid macrumors regular

SmartIndianKid

And what he's saying is use Gspot to identify the codec being used, and install that codec on your mac.

Or just use VLC.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

See [guide]Watching AVI movies on a Mac[/guide]

Basically you just install Perian/Flip4Mac.

11. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

I don't want to install a whole new media player, I prefer Quicktime.

Installed. Installed. Failure.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you have perian and flip4mac installed VLC is probably the only way.

13. isosceles macrumors newbie

i'm having the same problem, it only started happening recently, i've had vlc for a long time and have a bundle of 92 codecs installed for quicktime, so i still can't figure out the problem

the sound and video plays fine in quicktime if it's anything but .avi, but if i try and play an .avi file the sound doesn't work

I really want to solve this so that these videos can be played in front row, instead of having to open vlc player every video

PROBLEM SOLVED
    i went through the plugins and found a corrupt xvid one, deleted it and everything is back to normal

14. curve666 macrumors newbie

I'm on an iMac and having problems

I'm on a brand new 306 iMac--my QT is not playing either the audio on one or the video on another of the movies I have from BitTorrent. Some played just fine last week.
    I have viewed the codecs used to encode the films supplied by the uploader and checked them with the library codecs installed, eg DivX Decoder.component et al. Now simple codecs like mp3 are not playing in my .avi movies--that concerns me.

My first guess would be to download and replace a full codec package leaving the standard QT ones alone. My second guess is to reload QT completely. I want to learn the ins and outs of OS X5 so I'm asking before I leap.
    Thanx in advance,
    dna

15. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

First, everyone get Perian.

Now get Flip4Mac

Uninstall any other codecs (Perian handles everything)

Then get VLC

And if VLC doesn't work, try MPlayer

16. EricN95033 macrumors newbie

Yet another no sound in quicktime with some avi fles

As with most of the other posters, the "silent avi" problem under quicktime is new. Unfortunately, I don't know what has been updated since it last worked. I discovered it when I went to view my grandson's 5th birthday. As part of the debug process, I went through and removed all of my audio codec components (DivX, Perian, Flip4Mac, Flash, and quicktime). A bit tedious, but still easier than under Windows (which I know is not saying much). I downgraded to quicktime 7.4.5 (Tiger) using Pacifist. I did a reboot and fixed permissions at each step along the way for both the down grade and the way back up when I put it all back in again. I had no luck at any point (VLC works fine btw, except for skipping when Skype is running). Oddly enough, The AVI files from my wife's camera (Cannon) still play fine but my Casio files have been silenced. Both cameras encode the audio as Apple OpenDML JPEG. Whatever it is, there does not appear to be a simple fix for for all cases. I'm going to continue to remove and add components in the hope of stumbling upon the golden sequence. I'll let you know if I find it, but 4 hours is enough for now.

17. ihabime macrumors 6502

There's a thread about this on the Apple forums, there's a conflict between codecs with quicktime 7.5. uninstalling/reinstalling perian and cleaning out conflicting codecs seems to help.

18. ihabime macrumors 6502

19. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's a QT 7.5 problem.

And yes, following the instructions on that Apple thread (trash DivX, Xvid, etc. codecs, install Perian 1.1) seems to work in restoring sound.

MR...solving my problems in 5 min. since 2005.