Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I'm not sure why they do this, but they'll price match if you show them Apple's price on your phone.

Best Buy does this with nearly all of their products. I bought a Razer mouse from them the other week that was $67 instore and $50 online, on their own website. Memory cards are equally as gouged - I believe their standard practice is to take advantage of non-savvy consumers. Thankfully they price match, it's just a hassle and a bad experience because if you buy more than a couple things, they stop letting you price match on the same order.

I've also run into issues where Best Buy seems to have their own unique model number for certain Sandisk memory products that differs by one number or letter (but is the same exact product sold elsewhere), so they refuse the price match. This is some truly underhanded stuff that mattress/sleep product stores used to partake in, but I haven't been able to confirm this multiple times as I usually just stick to Amazon unless there's a local emergency.

KrazyBear15

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
South Dakota
I'm not sure why they do this, but they'll price match if you show them Apple's price on your phone.

Best Buy does this with nearly all of their products. I bought a Razer mouse from them the other week that was $67 instore and $50 online, on their own website. Memory cards are equally as gouged - I believe their standard practice is to take advantage of non-savvy consumers.

I was thinking that too...preying on soccer moms and non tech savvy folks.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Same with Verizon. Asked if I could buy the Pixel 2 XL outright yesterday. They told me I need to be put on a prepaid plan first and then cancel it. That could be as high as $80 extra. Better off getting it from Google.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Best Buy has always charged $50-$100 more for the iPhone. And they generally don’t price match on iPhones.
You can always put it on a plan and just pay it off and avoid any additional costs.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
and then deal with garbage customer service/restocking fees if you need to return something...

If you “need” to return something, you probably want a replacement, and you’ll get it with no problem. If you want to return something, that will depend on their return policies. I’ve personally never had any issues returning anything. I’ve even returned a laptop simply because I hated it. Nothing wrong with it at all, but they gave me a full refund with no issues. No restocking fees at all.
[doublepost=1508832711][/doublepost]
Best Buy has always charged $50-$100 more for the iPhone. And they generally don’t price match on iPhones.
You can always put it on a plan and just pay it off and avoid any additional costs.

I have purchased multiple iPhones from Best Buy, and they always price match when I show them the Apple website. 100% success rate, without any questions or hassle.

Reactions: bruinsrme

Zigourney

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2017
United Kingdom
think its a bit retarded to sell any apple products at a higher price than apple itself.
why would you even consider buying apple products from a shop like that when you can buy cheaper directly from apple.

lol

Reactions: Coco Nuts

Black05Hemi

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2015
think its a bit retarded to sell any apple products at a higher price than apple itself.
why would you even consider buying apple products from a shop like that when you can buy cheaper directly from apple.

lol
Alot of people who don't read threads like this probably have no idea they marked them up, which increases their profit margins.

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
Best Buy or anywhere else. ALWAYS look to price match before shopping and before checkout.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
If you “need” to return something, you probably want a replacement, and you’ll get it with no problem. If you want to return something, that will depend on their return policies. I’ve personally never had any issues returning anything. I’ve even returned a laptop simply because I hated it. Nothing wrong with it at all, but they gave me a full refund with no issues. No restocking fees at all.
[doublepost=1508832711][/doublepost]

I have purchased multiple iPhones from Best Buy, and they always price match when I show them the Apple website. 100% success rate, without any questions or hassle.
thank you for clarifying that, when the 7+ came out two stores wouldn't and the referred me to the policy.
Good to see they changed

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
thank you for clarifying that, when the 7+ came out two stores wouldn't and the referred me to the policy.
Good to see they changed
The last one I bought was the 7 for my dad a few months ago (June maybe?) and they price matched with no hassle at all. Same when I bought my 6s on launch day. I wonder what the actual rule is, and if I just got lucky.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I buy my iPhone at the Apple store only and factory unlock, if you have a problem you will and up dealing with Apple all other stores will don't care of you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.