Avoid voting-while-brown

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Some RWs got their hands on security cam video of a Hispanic guy delivering absentee ballots to a ballot box. This let to angry cries of "fraud" and "treason", as some of these commenters suggested that perceived mischief (which according to the story was entirely legal and not even slightly questionable) should be a capital offense (tried by kangaroos).

Now, if this guy had been lily white and looking like James O'Keefe, would this fuss have been raised? What is with these people (who are, of course, not racist)?

2. sodapop1, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014

sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Yes, the term "voter fraud" is simply code used by the GOP to refer to minority voters.

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Well thank goodness I've never voted while brown...

4. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I believe they call that white privilege :)

5. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

The only racists are the people who bring it up. You darn race baiters you!

Maybe the GOP shouldn't have ignored the minority vote all these years, they did this to themselves. They know minorities aren't voting for them so they try and make their votes not legitimate.

6. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

And I think that is called a SJW buzzphrase.

7. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

And "social justice warrior" is a conservative buzzphrase.

:rolleyes:

8. sim667 macrumors 65816

Its not a buzzphrase..... its a fact.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It is a rare but felicitous marriage of the two.

10. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Naturally, I assumed that these were just the garden variety cranky old snowbirds making idle threats. But, it actually is worse than that. Why does the Republican Party allow someone like this to be a spokesperson?

I hope Mr. LaFaro has been misquoted.

11. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

aside from the obvious racist paranoia that transpire from this specific event, in general absentee voting can be a cause of concern, since -as a mechanism- it forfeits the anonymous component of voting, and thus it open itself to pressure voting (direct or indirect): from spouses, bosses, religious and community leaders, parents, or in general anyone in a position of power.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Doubt it. These are the people who re-elect that ****ing nutjob Sheriff Joe Apario (or whatever his name is).

13. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

These parts, that is the only kind of voting. Have not heard much noise about fraud or arm-twisting.

14. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

i know. and the american electorate is very mature so it is unlikely to become widespread without being reported allover the places, but it is still a concern.

i can easily see spouses or families voting 'together', and if one family member is 'dominant' it might become very difficult not to follow suit, even without blatant arm twisting.
    anonymous voting is one of the pillars of democracy

15. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

My hope in the future is that…. one day…. I can vote while in the toilet using my iPad. Then I can truly say "I voted while making brown!"

16. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

A fact? No. It's just a phrase that people use on social media to generate "buzz."

17. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

No, no, it does exist.

18. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

It does exist and I see it.

19. samiwas macrumors 65816

Kind of like "voter fraud", "gay agenda", and "gun grabber", and "Benghazi"?

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Absentee voting doesn't get rid of the anonymous part of voting unless protocols are not being followed at all. I found out in the 2010 midterms that California at least will let you sign away your right to a secret ballot and let you fax it in. I found out about that because I was overseas and a few days before the election I realized that my ballot had gotten lost in the mail, and obviously it was too late to get and send in a new one.

21. sim667 macrumors 65816

It really, really isn't.

I would suggest that you're not seeing it because evoking it has become part of your life routine.