Avoiding ios6 update during iPhone 4s activation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anonymouse99, Oct 22, 2012.

1. anonymouse99 macrumors regular

I am looking to purchase an iphone 4s from a local vendor store. I was told that they had these iPhone 4s's sitting for a while and likely have IOS5 OS on them.

During activation of this iPhone, does the process automatically (force) update the phone to ios6?

If this happens, is there a way to bypass/ignore the update? Many thanks.

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

What would be the point of that? So you can run outdated software and have everything run overall, worse? Why are people so scared of change?

3. Erock2 macrumors member

Maybe he wants to jailbreak?

And OP no it doesn't make you update it automatically.

4. solo118 macrumors 65816

He may have intent of jailbreaking?

Anyway, if you get the phone maybe you can do it by activating through the wireless/wifi rather than plugging into itunes. Once you plug into itunes later on it will only ask to update to ios6 but you can choose to do it later.

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

If the OP already knows about jailbreaking, why don't they know about just downloading an older version of the OS and installing that?

Downgrading OS is just as complicated as jailbreaking. It seems more like the original poster has been reading things about maps and such and is just afraid to use iOS for no reason.

6. anonymouse99 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your responses. I want to test my ios apps on an ios5 platform. I have an iPad which will be my ios6 test bed for now. I don't have any issues with Google/Apple maps.