AW Edition vs Hermès

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lax28, Oct 5, 2016.

1. lax28 macrumors regular

lax28

Having a tough time deciding between the two.

Has anyone happened to have had experience with both?

Or if only one, did you think about the other and if so what made you go with the one you purchased.

Thanks

2. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I think it really comes down between the casing options Ceramic vs Stainless Steel. In my opinion, the Ceramic looks like cheap plastic. The stainless has an elegant and refined look. In my opinion.

3. lax28 thread starter macrumors regular

lax28

Makes sense, I don't think the ceramic looks cheap which is why I'm up in the air. Also what is the advantage to getting Hermes vs SS and just buying Hermes band...I know the extra face or faces, but how many extra faces are there? Those that have Hermes is it worth the additional cost to get Hermes vs the SS and Hermes band combo?

4. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

From My understanding, the Hermes Watch only includes one Custom Watch face. Obviously you receive the premium leather band and a custom Hermes Box. Other than that, it's exactly the same as the stainless.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Are you a fan of white-bodied watches?

Would you get a buyers remorse if they come out with a black ceramic model (I predict they'll do that in one of the refreshes)?

6. lax28 thread starter macrumors regular

lax28

I never really wore a watch since getting a cell phone 20 years or so ago, since getting the AW 18 months ago not a day goes buy that I don't have it on. I currently have SS, but may sell or pass on to another family member once I update. Either way I wouldn't say I'm a fan of white, but there is something I do like about it, I don't think a black ceramic would give me remorse as I never thought of the SBSS as a must have. I just don't think the black pairs as well with many other bands (in my opinion).

7. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

The Ceramic is also Much lighter in weight compared to the Stainless Steel. And @JayLenochiniMac is likely right, Apple Will release black ceramic with in the next year.

8. JayDH macrumors 6502

Just switched from a SS Series 0 to the Edition. I like the shiny white more every day. In photos it looks a little like plastic, but in real life it looks stunning.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Good point. Pictures won't reflect what it actually looks and feels in person.

10. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Black ceramic would look a lot like SBSS. Arguably less attractive because of the ledge around the screen.

And the weight would be similar. The 38mm models differ by just 2.3g (source: Apple Watch Tech Specs):

38mm
    AL 28.2g
    SS 41.9g
    CE 39.6g

42mm

AL 34.2g
    SS 52.4g
    CE 45.6g

11. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Even so, the stainless does have a significant impact with heft and over all with the feeling of density.

12. lax28 thread starter macrumors regular

lax28

Been wearing a SS for a long time, I am used to its weight. My wife's AW Sport feels cheap because of its lack of weight because I am used to the SS. Didn't think about how the weight difference would be. I wear a 42mm watch.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I first had an aluminum 42 MM Watch when they first launched in 2015. I quickly sold that and upgraded to the Stainless. I couldn't have been more happy with the look and feel. And the Saphirre display is added piece of mind. And the aluminum is ideal for fitness, but to lightweight for me.

14. KPOM macrumors G5

Three different fonts and a few variants.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Your correct. Thanks.

16. KPOM macrumors G5

I've had the Hermès for a year and tried on the Edition last week. Ideally I'd have liked the Edition with the Hermès watch face and straps with ceramic lugs and buckles. But since that isn't an option I opted for the Hermès Series 2. The ceramic body looks great but no band beats the Hermès leather bands. They are the best bands you can get, and that includes the bands from last year's gold models.

17. lax28 thread starter macrumors regular

lax28

Yeah I have heard the Hermès bands are second to none, I mostly wear sport bands, unless I am dressing up then I use my SS link bracelet, but it is not my daily driver. I guess that is another concern, what band combination would I dress up the Edition with, obviously if I get the Hermès my link band and the leather band that the watch comes with are both good options to dress up.

18. i3s3d01 macrumors member

I had both. I returned the edition and went with the Hermes.

My reason was that I didn't feel that the edition went well with any of my bands. Plus I really liked the Hermes watch face. I have no regrets whatsoever.

I'll aslo echo another post - the Hermes single tour is probably the nicest watch band that I've ever seen in my life.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

This was my thinking. Another forum member posted pictures with various bands Paired with the ceramic, and they all looked tacky. It's the color of the casing that throws Off the band look. The Stainless pairs with any band.

20. lax28 thread starter macrumors regular

lax28

I don't have a real lot of bands, but I'm hoping they don't look tacky. I originally pre-ordered the Edition and it will be here hopefully Friday, but during the waiting for it I have started thinking about the Hermès (or getting a SS and a Hermès band and save a couple hundred)

21. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

If your not content with the Ceramic Watch, you have 14 days to return it.

22. lax28 thread starter macrumors regular

lax28

Yup, I'm going to give the Edition a good try, for at least a week or so and see how I like it and how it looks with other bands.

I appreciate all of the input on the two, especially those who have had a chance to experience both the Edition and Hermès.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

There's a decent thread here where someone paired it with a bunch of bands. I think it looks rather great. If only it was many hundreds of dollars cheaper and thus allowing me to justify the purchase Haha. I don't even normally like white tech things. Including watches.

24. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I have an SS and for me, apart from the strap and watch face, the Hermes doesn't look different enough to justify the price difference. The edition stands out and looks a lot classier in the flesh then it dies in photos. I have one in order and as lordifthereef says There are some pics posted in another thread with different bands and it looks great. Because it's scratch proof it wil still look prestige in a years time

25. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I purchased both and returned the Edition. The Edition is lightweight, but other than that I thought it looked "ok" at best and cheap at worst. A white watch just doesn't work for me and there were few band pairings that looked good. I am also not a big fan of Apple's cheap bands except the leather loop, but again that leather is no where near Hermes. If Apple is going to release a $1,300 Edition Watch you'd think they would release special Edition bands that worked with the watch.

In my opinion, the SS version is much classier and when coupled with the Hermes leather band it simply brings the Apple Watch to the next level. I am not a fan of the cheap Apple bands and Hermes leather is simply best in class.

Good luck with whatever you choose.