Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i3s3d01

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Yup, I'm going to give the Edition a good try, for at least a week or so and see how I like it and how it looks with other bands.

I appreciate all of the input on the two, especially those who have had a chance to experience both the Edition and Hermès.

I think it just comes down to how much you like changing out bands for different looks. I was REALLY into changing out bands for different occasions - and for me the bright white ceramic watch made that almost impossible. To my eye other bands just simply did not look right with it.

If you want to keep the look simple and like the white watch I think you'll be very pleased with it. It was definitely a neat watch, but the Hermes just feels like a nicer watch on my wrist - and that's what I was going for personally.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
Having a tough time deciding between the two.

Has anyone happened to have had experience with both?

Or if only one, did you think about the other and if so what made you go with the one you purchased.

Thanks

Didn't read them all but here is your best answer (obviously because it is from me)

The ceramic is beautiful and unique causing it to definitely stand out and gives it many sport band color options that fit really well. But that is the problem, a ~$1200 watch that really only fits/matches with 30 dollar sports bands (or are sb's 50 i don't remember). The silver lugs like terrible imo while the stainless black lugs found on some bands (3rd party is what comes to my mind, don't think apple has any black lugs either). So again a ~1200 dollar watch that you have to buy a third party band if you want a quality band that matches the quality of the edition. If apple actually made a ceramic link I would have bought it in a heartbeat and paid the tax on a ceramic link to match it but they didn't they gave you a cheap sport band that is just a slight variation to already existing colors.

The Hermes not only comes with an amazing leather band (from the reviews and photos all over macrumors now that they are arriving) AND it comes with a unique color cheap sports band so that you don't have to wear that nice leather when you aren't dressing up or when going to work out. Also the watch face is pretty darn nice almost making the AW look more like a timepiece when coupled with the hermes face and leather band.

Out of your two options I would go with the Hermes mainly because there are no classy bands that fit well with the ceramic (except the black link, man that looks so cool but not really a "dress up with a suit combo" more like a "check out my sick arse watch"). If apple made any type of nice link I would tell you ceramic but they didn't so go with hermes!

ALLLLLLLL that said. I chose the black SS with black link bracelet and that is what I would recommend based on personal opinion. the black SS looks amazing with every band that doesn't have silver lugs which sadly is most of the nice ones from apple. The 3rd party market for unique classy leather bands is huge though so grab a black SS with link and then hit amazon and get a nice leather band for about 100 bucks and you are at the same price of the other two.

EDIT: if AW3 edition is around the same price as this edition and matches my black link I will trade my black SS for it, same goes for the hermes. If hermes was to release a nice black SS with a leather band I would buy that and keep my black link. Anyway, darn you for getting my thinking of how bad I want a leather deployment band!

lax28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2014
New Jersey
My Edition came today, just got a chance to unbox and now need to set it up and try it out for the next week or two. Looks great, but still considering Hermès single tour. Not sure if I would wear the leather band that much, I am very used to wearing sports bands, but having the leather band to dress up the watch when needed would be nice. Not sure what bands I currently have to dress up the Edition. I may just keep my original AW SS and the link bracelet to wear when needed.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
My Edition came today, just got a chance to unbox and now need to set it up and try it out for the next week or two. Looks great, but still considering Hermès single tour. Not sure if I would wear the leather band that much, I am very used to wearing sports bands, but having the leather band to dress up the watch when needed would be nice. Not sure what bands I currently have to dress up the Edition. I may just keep my original AW SS and the link bracelet to wear when needed.

sounds like a solid plan. If you like the sport bands more than most other types than the edition is perfect and if you have an old SS with link (which the watch portion is worth next to nothing now anyways) then you should keep the edition and rock the SS like you said.

mhoutman

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2016
Both watches resemble best of both worlds. Th ceramic with a fancy sport band and the Hermes with leather only.. Personally I am not a fan of the ceramic white case as it makes me think of old Mac hardware...but the idea of a ceramic with a black sportband is almost kinky ;)

As I own the original Hermès edition I decided not to buy a Hermès series 2 but a space black SS Series 2. Additionally I bought some Apple classic buckle bands (erd an midnight blue) which I can wear with my Hermes AW.

If this is your first AW get the Hermès with deployment buckle in fauve barenia. You will enjoy this icon for years :)

Nell

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
London
Obviously it's all down to personal taste. Personally, I don't like the look of the white ceramic watch so regardless of the strap issue, I wouldn't want one. If I had the money I'd get a Hermes watch; quite apart from the straps, I love the look of the watch faces.
[doublepost=1475931150][/doublepost]That said, my favourite strap for S2 is the double buckle cuff and I think the 38mm watch might look crap on my chunky wrists.

tonoboon

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2015
The edition might come and go you might not possible to buy white ceramic in the future.
But the Hermes could possible come with series 3 , If you plan to have more than one Apple Watch , I wish you could.
I cheer for the Edition first.

IMG_3233_zpszr9cv1jp.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.