AW owners in the Republic of Ireland

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jannette, Sep 16, 2015.

1. jannette macrumors 6502

We are moving to Mayo in the new year.....are contactless terminals common in Ireland?

2. rw1979 macrumors member

Contactless is relatively common, I pay for my Starbuck everyday with a contactless Visa card but I've also heard of a guy from the US paying for a round of drinks in a bar with his Apple Watch. It was akin to Black Magic according to people who witnessed it ;-)

Just to note, the Apple Watch is not available for sale in Ireland and no Irish banks are participating with Apple Pay.

3. jannette thread starter macrumors 6502

Yikes! So that means when I open an Irish Bank account, I cannot use that account with Apple Pay. I have an AW, but I will obviously need to use a UK account in order to use Apple Pay. Not good!

4. BSben macrumors 6502a

That is the case for almost all countries in the world, Apple Pay ist still a baby and it NEEDS to expand FAST. Samsung Pay and Android Pay are following up, and they are probably faster than the original.

5. jannette thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm! I have got so used to using Apple Pay here in the UK. I shall just have to wait until Irish banks are up for it!

6. Zcott macrumors 68020

I read a report a few months ago saying Apple were in talks with Bank of Ireland so it might not be too far off.

7. jannette thread starter macrumors 6502

Good! I am opening an account with Bank of Ireland.

I presume I could still use the AW watch to pay contactless if I use a UK supported card? Not really a good idea because of the exchange charge

8. Zcott macrumors 68020

Yep, you can use it anywhere that accepts contactless. I'm from the North so I have Apple Pay but I can use it in the south no problem :)