Awaiting Trump's coal comeback, miners reject retraining

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Nov 1, 2017.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

SMH. Trump doing these people a huge disservice.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...meback-miners-reject-retraining-idUSKBN1D14G0

2. samcraig macrumors P6

3. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Oh, I agree. The people have offered them a way out and they refuse to take it.

4. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Not like the Gov is forcing them into other vocations.

Not everyone wants to learn Statistics math, but they should see it to see to know coal is losing its value as energy source.

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Nothing to do with Trump, the market is moving to the next cheaper solution. These retraining programs haven't been successful, typically it's just a company grabbing millions to say they are going to create coders out of miners. Yeh ok, where's the on button on this box again?

6. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

more than one hundred federally funded courses covering everything from computer programming to nursing.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

Nothing to do with Trump? Pretty sure Trump kept telling the miners that he was bringing coal back. One of his most recent tweets was about it. If people choose to believe Trump's rhetoric, you're right, that's not really on Trump. But don't pretend Trump is not a player in this scenario. At no time is he encouraging miners to look elsewhere for a career.

Are you suggesting that the coal miners are foolish for listening to/believing in Trump?

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I'm suggesting that Trump is and will continue to cut down on regulations that make the profession artificially unviable, he can't stop the fact that other industries are cheaper now.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

Yes. But what about the coal miners.

10. eatrains macrumors 6502

What? Lazy Trump supporters waiting for government rescue instead of working to adapt to the free market? Never thought I'd live to see that...

11. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

It's only 'artificially' unviable the same way using asbestos is artificially unviable - I guess saving people's lives is just one of those pesky government regulations stopping people from working.

Just imagine all the jobs we could create if we got rid of traffic laws.

12. poloponies Suspended

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

The GOP's ridiculousness on coal has moored these guys to a dying industry.

Unless Trump orders coal companies to mine in Pennsylvania, that industry is dead. The meanest part: these guys will wait years to find out that Trump can't just Tweet the coal industry back to life, and in the meantime, the GOP is likely to slash retraining efforts.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Asbestos != Coal.

It's not about pushing coal forward, it's about not dragging it down.

Putting coal miners out of work shouldn't be a goal.

15. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Hate to say it, but sometimes you have to move to other parts of the state/country to find a job.

16. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

"No thanks, I don't want to be trained in a new career that has good salary and future growth prospects like nursing or logistics, I'd like to go back down into the dirty mines where I don't have to save for retirement because if respiratory problems don't kill me by the time I am 50, then my inevitable addiction to opiates to fight my numerous physical injuries certainly will."

I understand that it's hard for someone that doesn't already have an education to understand and value of an education, and many work in coal because they literally have no other choice, but come on. Who in their right mind would choose to work in a coal mine when given the opportunity to do anything else?

These people need to take some personal responsibility for themselves and own up to the fact that coal jobs are gone and not coming back.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

What about about putting all the people out of work because of government budget cuts and other things.

Is it because it's a particular industry? I don't think the goal is to put anyone out of work. if that was the purpose, then there wouldn't be programs to retrain them. The goal is to have better energy sources.

18. Zenithal macrumors G3

Didn't you know? Education is elitist. But literally killing yourself doing hard, manual labor is smarter.

19. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Coal Kills about as much as asbestos.
    Both short term (cave in), near term (lung disease), and long term (pollution polluting next generation).
    All 3 can be prevented with available technology.

That is salient points about the industry that is the actual cause of its problems.
    Regulations aside, coal is a dirty 4 letter word.

20. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Things change. Coal is outdated, its a dangerous job, its bad for the environment, and the country and probably world is moving on to other things regardless.

The fact conservatives pulled the term "clean coal" out of their ass shows its a dying industry. The fact Uncle Donnie calls it "beautiful, clean coal" is just further confirmation. All the great adjectives in the world won't change what it is. Dirty, dangerous and outdated.

21. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They call that the mines to disability path in Appalachia.

22. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

These people refusing retraining are going to get what they deserve, hard and often. I have friends and family that have been in the coal industry and they are all getting out, as they are not stupid. The market has spoken, where coal is concerned (even before Obama and heightened regulation). Plants were switching to gas before Obama was even in office, simply because it was cleaner and cheaper. Trump and his coterie of enviro jesters cannot wave a magic wand and make coal viable again. It's a dying industry and making people think it will come back is just cruelty to the ignorant.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If it's a dieing industry it shouldn't need to be over-regulated.

24. Zenithal macrumors G3

Living in Appalachia should be considered a disability itself.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2017 ---
    What regulations exactly? And I'm not sure why you care so much since US regulations on coal don't affect you as you've become a citizen of Canada.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2017 ---
    Smart friends and family. As @rdowns said it, those who refuse to evolve deserve everything they get in the future.

There's a reason why oil companies are heavy investors of green technology and have been for decades.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Just one example of 3 or 4 regulations Trump repealed:
    http://thehill.com/regulation/overnights/326404-overnight-regulation-trump-tackles-war-on-coal

If coal is naturally on the way out the government shouldn't need to kill it.