"Away-from-home" Charging issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vc73287n, Sep 28, 2012.

1. vc73287n macrumors member

vc73287n

One thing I dont understand is apple charges $19.99 for a lightning cable and $29.99 for the lightning adapter. In terms of what im going to do personally: change my wires. I have 1 charger at home, 1 in the car, and 1 in the office. If I didnt mind bringing anything with me I would not purchase the adapter but I would simply bring the cable. To me it just makes no sense. The cables are cheaper. If your worried about carrying something all the time just replace the wires. Sure you can buy an adapter but then you have to carry the adapter everywhere. Idk what apple was thinking on this one, replacing the wires is a lot easier then having to buy several adapters.

How is everyone else handling their "away-from-home" charging issues?

2. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

The adapters are for accessories. Not for basic charging. If you have no accessories (speaker docks, etc) then yes, the cables are the smart buy.

3. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

If you are using the USB charger cube that came with the iPhone, or previous iPhones and /or iPods, just replace the cables. Same as with the charger that came with the iPad.

If you are using something other than the charger such as an iHome radio or speaker, or some other type of charging device then you may need the adaptor in order to continue using that particular device.

4. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

The adapters are more expensive because they contain more hardware.

5. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

For me, my car has an iPod hookup to run my music through my dashboard (from factory)... So naturally, it uses a proprietary cable from Nissan. This I will need an adapter for, because I cannot simply switch the cable.

I am having the "away-from-home" charging issues because not many people have the iPhone 5 yet and I still don't have extra chargers.

It was always so nice when I could be at almost any house and they would probably have a charger for my phone if I needed it. I want a cable for work, my car, and my girlfriend's house. Then I need an adapter for my car and my zeppelin air... hopefully Bower's and Wilkins releases a black adapter for purchase for the Zeppelin and Zeppelin Mini. When I emailed them asking about it, they mentioned that they planned to do so.