Awesome Apple Store Experience/Customer Service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zachy85, Sep 26, 2013.

1. zachy85 macrumors 6502

zachy85

I was one of the devotees (aka crazies) to camp out overnight for the 5S last week. I arrived at the Apple Store in Bethesda around 10pm, and was number 14 in line. I had never done this before, and wanted to have the experience. Everyone near me was awesome and fun to talk to. It was obvious through the night and early morning that the gold model was going to be the one everyone wanted. We kept referring to the tickets that the Apple employees would distribute as "Golden Tickets".

Anyway, around 3am or so, an Apple Store employee emerged from the store to let us know that gold and silver stock was severely limited. She hinted that the first 20 or so people in line would have their choice of color, but everyone else would have to settle for space grey. At this point, I thought I was golden, so to speak.

When the ticket distribution started, it was clear that she had grossly over estimated the stock of gold and silver phones. I was left slightly disappointed, but walked away with a space grey model by 8:20am.

A few days later, I noticed that the receipt had a survey component. I went through the questions and explained what happened. Just a few hours later, a manager from the store called and wanted to talk about my experience. I went over it again and told him that I was disappointed about the stock, but nonetheless very happy with my new iPhone.

This is where the story gets good--he offered to put aside the next gold iPhone for my carrier that came in the store. I thanked him, and low and behold, that night he called and said that a gold iPhone was on hold for me at the store. Last night I went in and did the exchange and am now the happy owner of a gold iPhone.

Anyway, just a great and happy Apple customer here wanting to share with the forum. I almost always fill out surveys like this but this is the first time anything came of it.

2. AceMason macrumors regular

That's so awesome! I'd be so stoked. Enjoy your shiny new phone :)

3. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

very cool. I've always had great service at apple.

4. justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

I wish other retailers would understand that this is what true customer service is, a concept that has somehow disappeared over time.

Excellent story, thanks for sharing.

5. bchery21 macrumors 6502

bchery21

6. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I expect you have or will be getting another survey regarding your most recent experience - and that manager will be expecting a better grade...!

Cynicism aside, it's nice to hear retail staff going above and beyond...

7. horsebattery macrumors 6502

I actually got contacted yesterday b/c of some upgrade issues I was having which I mentioned in a post-purchase survey online. First time that has happened, so I was quite surprised.

8. Gypsy36 macrumors regular

I had a bad experience with a third party product from the Apple store (the iGrill) and a bad experience trying to return it. I filled out one of the surveys and they bent over backwards to resolve the issue. When I went into the store for the ultimate resolution everyone had been briefed on the issue so, no matter who I walked up to, they were able to handle it. Outstanding customer service.

9. Gjwilly, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

Gjwilly macrumors 68030

See, now to me this is not good customer service. This is customer retention.
    One squeaky wheel got special treatment at the expense of some other customer who waited in line the next day.
    Good for the OP but I wouldn't say this reflects well on Apple by any means.
    I know I'm in the minority and I know that Apple counts on this word of mouth advertising by these customers receiving the special treatment but for every one that does receive it there are literally thousands more receiving only average or even mediocre service. They just don't advertise.
    I really do think that Apple has superior hardware and a superior ecosystem and it's this, combined with the satisfied squeaky wheels that keeps them on top.