Awesome - Best National Geographic Photos of 2008

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sahil39, Dec 18, 2008.

1. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It's simple. Buy at least $15,000 in camera equipment. Practice a lot. Then find the animal you want to take a picture of. Finally spend several days to months tracking the animal taking 1000's of pictures until you get the right one. Though with the difficult animals you may have to spend days on end hidden in a blind so as not to disturb them.:D

Those are awesome pictures though.

2. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I disagree - some of the nicest photos I've seen have been snapped with run-of-the-mill models.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I disagree with that.

Nice photos can be taken with any camera. I've seen and taken a number of nice photos with an old 2 MP Canon A60 from 2001. The image quality isn't good, but the photos, as a whole, were nice.

However, the nicest nature photos I've seen, at least in the digital era, have been taken with nice cameras and equipment. This is particularly true with regards to animal photos, where long telephoto lenses are needed.

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

So what about the underwater shots, surely the cameras used to take those aint cheap ???

5. bartelby macrumors Core

The close up of the lizard eyes is photoshopped. One side is the mirror image of the other. Nothing natural is 100% symmetrical like that.

6. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I believe the difference in our opinions is due solely to the fact that by 'nicest' photos I meant "soulful", "evocative" photos - the ones that capture a moment, not necessarily those that have the highest resolution. We're talkin' layman appreciation.