Awesome iPhone 4 Insurance -- Is this legit??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lukeman3000, Jul 14, 2010.

1. lukeman3000 macrumors regular

Recently, I stumbled across a website that makes some pretty incredible claims for insuring the iphone. Here are the details:

Low upfront cost
    100% Parts and Labor
    No Deductibles
    No Occurrence Limit
    No Lemon Guarantee
    Toll-Free Support
    Nationwide Coverage
    Rapid Claim System

Plan includes:
    • 2 full years of hardware protection (from date of purchase)
    • Double the coverage of the standard iPhone/iPad warranty
    • Repair or replacement for any hardware failure
    • Battery replacement
    • Accidental damage
    • Drops, spills, water damage, cracked screens
    • Zero deductible
    • Coverage must be activated within 30 days of purchase

So what's the price? $94.95 for 2 years of coverage.

I was almost about to get some insurance through SquareTrade (they seem the most reasonable compared to anyone else I've seen), but this insurance really just blows it out of the water because SquareTrade won't pay out more than the value of the phone, and there is a $50 deductible for accidental damage. Plus, SquareTrade's costs more.

However, I am having doubts. Just looking at the website, you can tell that the design is kind of sketchy. There is text that isn't aligned properly, text that runs underneath buttons (which makes the text un-readable), and other strange design choices or oversights.

There is a phone number listed, so I called it. Actually, I literally just got off the phone with the guy as I was writing this post.

The first time I called, I got a voicemail, but I saw that he tried to call me back twice while I was on the phone with another person. I called him back and spoke to him for about 15-20 minutes and he did sound very knowledgeable about the insurance business. He said that he has been in the industry for 9 years, but that the iphone thing is very new. His office is only made up of 3 people, and I think it used to be 4 but one of them recently passed away.

When I asked him about the "no deductible" and "no occurrence limit" things, he said that basically he's not charging a deductible because he wants to keep the prices down. As far as the occurrence limit goes, he said that has to do with the company who actually does the insurance policy (the underwriters or whatever I guess). He said that they are the ones who run the numbers and evaluate things like loss ratio, price of premium, etc. So basically I don't think he necessarily has to be concerned with people screwing him over, but the underwriters do. I think he said that he's getting (or has already got) signed on with the same people that SquareTrade uses.

He said that he is the sole developer of the website, and that he just threw it up quick for friends so that they could start taking out his insurance on the iphone. He said that he didn't know it would get so big, but he's getting a lot of inquiries and he said that a lot of people, like me, are skeptical. Also, he said that there should be an app on the app store in about 3-4 weeks or so. Apparently one of his guys was designing the app, but he's the same one that passed away, so he has had to contract the app to a 3rd party company.

Additionally, he said that the local State Farm office will refer 2-3 people to him each month who are looking for iPhone insurance since State Farm won't insure it. I asked him for the contact info for this office and he said that he would email it to me. He even offered to let me speak to some other customers, but of course talking to State Farm would be the best way to confirm that he's legit. Since I literally just got off the phone with him, I'm still waiting for that contact info, but I will update this post after I've spoken to them.

Basically, this insurance plan looks like the best compared to anything else I have seen. I want to get it, but first I want to make sure that he's legit and that I'm not getting ripped off. If anyone else has done business with this company or has any knowledge of this website, it would be much appreciated.

Again, I will update this post once I find out more. I would encourage you to check out the website and maybe even give him a call if you feel so inclined and post your opinions here afterward.

UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with a State Farm in NY, and the conversation went like this:

Me: Do you guys offer insurance for iphone?
    SF: No, we don't.. Hold on one second, I think we know a broker who does"
    [waiting]
    SF: You still there hun?
    Me: Yes
    SF: Okay, his name is Tony and the number I have for him is 888-705-9272
    (The name of the guy I'm dealing with through the website is Anthony Diaferia. I asked for his last name but they (SF) didn't know it and couldn't find his card. However, the phone number given is the same number that is listed on the website.)

I then explained the situation, how I was trying to verify if this guy is legit or not. The State Farm agent went on to say that he is very legit and a good guy. They said he lives in the same complex as their manager and they run into each other all the time.

The only thing is that I wonder how I can verify if I was speaking to a real State Farm or not. Here's the contact info:

Vitiello Insurance, Joseph Vitiello*, State Farm Insurance*
    583 Route 303 # B
    Blauvelt, NY 10913-1106 map
    New York, NY Metro Area

Phone: (845) 359-3200

2. applephysci macrumors regular

Pls provide an update. Thanks.

3. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

4. lukeman3000 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, it does, and that is why I'm doing all of this research.

I can verify the existence of a State Farm office, so if I can do this and they can tell me that they refer customers to this guy for iphone insurance, that is good enough for me.

So far, this guy has replied to every single one of my emails (in a very prompt manner), and he was very polite and professional on the phone. However, I am waiting until I have further confirmation and peace of mind by getting in contact with this State Farm office.

5. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Holy cow. Is this is legitimate lemme know haha

6. ddoolin macrumors regular

ddoolin

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. You're gonna end up walking right into this one.

*grabs the popcorn*

7. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

Apparently it does not covered theft or unlocked phones. Also, I personally would never do business with someone if I could make a website better then theirs in under an hour of work.

8. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

it may be legit insurance. but i bet trying to file a claim sucks and it takes weeks to get your phone back. and you will have hell trying to get money to just buy a new one!

9. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Horrible web page. I could have designed something better in Microsoft Word.

Did you even read their "Terms" page? Why are they talking about projector bulbs, and why does it tell you to refer to another company to file a claim? I understand that this company may be a broker, but there's too many red flags IMO. No real contact information, just an 888 number?

Update: If you go through the buying process, it takes you to Google Checkout, and the seller is Phone Guard Global, 888 705-9272, 1221 Round Pointe Dr., Haverstraw, NY 10927 US.

10. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

good luck.

You'd be better off mailing me $50, coS then you would save $45 !

11. lukeman3000 thread starter macrumors regular

They are talking about those items because they offer insurance for all sorts of electronics. Obviously this guy doesn't know how to design a website.

I just got off the phone with a State Farm in NY, and the conversation went like this:

Me: Do you guys offer insurance for iphone?
    SF: No, we don't.. Hold on one second, I think we know a broker who does"
    [waiting]
    SF: You still there hun?
    Me: Yes
    SF: Okay, his name is Tony and the number I have for him is 888-705-9272
    (The name of the guy I'm dealing with through the website is Anthony Diaferia. I asked for his last name but they didn't know it and couldn't find his card. However, the phone number given is the same number that is listed on the website.)

I then explained the situation, how I was trying to verify if this guy is legit or not. The State Farm agent went on to say that he is very legit and a good guy. They said he lives in the same complex as their manager and they run into each other all the time.

The only thing is that I wonder how I can verify if I was speaking to a real State Farm or not. Here's the contact info:

Vitiello Insurance, Joseph Vitiello*, State Farm Insurance*
    583 Route 303 # B
    Blauvelt, NY 10913-1106 map
    New York, NY Metro Area

Phone: (845) 359-3200

12. bfh123 macrumors regular

I like the "Compare Warranty's" link at the bottom. It kinda reminds me of the nice banker from Nigeria that is going to wire me $15MM belonging to the dead tycoon in "Sout Amerka." :rolleyes:

13. lukeman3000 thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone done any research on this or tried calling this guy or anything?

On one hand, yes, it looks really shady due to the poor website design.

On the other hand, I just got off the phone with a State Farm in New York, and when I asked them about iPhone insurance, the referred me to Tony at 888-705-9272, which happens to be the same exact number that is listed on the website.

Obviously he's either legit or he's not. Taking into account that I spoke with a State Farm agent and was referred to him, it points to the scenario that he is legit and simply doesn't know how to design a website. It also jives with his story that he just sort of threw the site together for friends who wanted to start buying the iPhone insurance, and that he didn't know it would become so popular.

At this point I haven't reached a decision, but to me it seems to be leaning towards "legit". If I hadn't talked to a State Farm and got his number from them, I wouldn't even be considering it, but everything he's said checks out so far.

If you're interested, I really think you should call him talk to him a little and see what he says and post it on here. Maybe raise some of the issues that you have with his website and see what he says. Ask him about the policy, those sorts of things. Maybe even call that State Farm agency and just ask if they have iPhone insurance and then see what they say. Ask them about Tony (Anthony) and about his reputation, his legitimacy, etc.

14. applephysci macrumors regular

He's definitely shady. You seem to be his only supporter. Is he your uncle?

15. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

That's no excuse for the shockingly bad website.:rolleyes:

16. Juicy D. Links macrumors 6502

17. asouclks macrumors member

Any update on this? Anyone buy this insurance?

18. calvy macrumors 65816

This sounds a like like the Personal Articles policy I just took out on my iPhone through state farm. It cost me $49 for the year, has no deductible, and covers me for loss or theft. They never really mentioned battery and that kind of thing though. I'm guessing it would though since it's written up as a 750 dollar cell phone.

However, I'm much more comfortable dealing with my own state farm agent than I am some random guy.

19. sell1cell macrumors newbie

is it Legit

I thought the same thing at first with this company but i have purchased warranty's for 3 pc's in my office had one claim which they replaced a monitor for me. And now have coverage for my iphone and a blackberry. if you do the math his numbers do make sense. other company's charge deductibles which they keep from what i have been told directly by the competitor's and his price is a little lower also. i have been happy with this company so far.

G.

20. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

You joined today and this is the only post you have made.....hmmmmm.

21. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

22. sell1cell macrumors newbie

Awesome iPhone 4 Insurance -- Is this legit??

Yes is is ligit, i have purchased insurance from the company and also happen to sign up the day i made a post, as i wanted to praise the company, im now aware that there app is live on itunes. and have just purchased a warranty for my iPad2. i rate the company 5 stars. there prices are the best out there and they know offer theft and loss coverage where they didn't in the past. So i'll wait till the iPhone 5 comes out and download app and purchase a warranty again.

23. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

hahahaha :D

24. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Shill detector just went off the scale.

25. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

My Macbook Air is covered under State Farm insurance so surely an iPhone can be too.