AWESOME television / movie guide App - this thing is Awesome!!!

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Rybold, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Read this...
    When you scroll through the TV Guide, it shows an image of the show, and when you click on it, in less than a second, it shows you a description of the show! For movies, you can play a preview clip, and it also displays your local theater show times! The search feature for the television guide works excellent!

Attached Files:

2. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Attached Files:

3. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

If I may add, it is F-R-E-E :)

I'm loving it, the ability to search for a genre or a specific show, then look for all upcoming shows or even view a clip. Then they added movies and theaters too! What more could you ask for?

4. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

thanks I was using AOL tv listings but this is much better. Awesome app for for being free!

5. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

Thanks for the heads up. I was also using AOL TV but this looks like it has a lot more info and more user friendly.

Eric

6. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

I saw this in the New Apps feed and then saw this thread, so I downloaded it. Seems to be pretty bandwidth-intensive as it has to download a lot of graphics, etc. But that aside I like it a lot. Very nicely done and having both movies and TV together is great. They say that watching TV and scheduling DVR recordings are upcoming features - we'll see, but I like the first iteration of the app thus far.

7. Manatee macrumors 6502a

Manatee

Excellent app!

I like how I can filter channels I'm not interested in, so I don't have to scroll through them. It's very flexible. I'll get a lot of use out of this app.

8. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

9. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

WOW, I am VERY impressed with this app!
    Seriously -- the more I explore it, the more little details I find. It is REALLY extensive and quite useful -- with more info than I'll ever need.

Of course, there's a few cons as well:

* Ads. They're not a deal-breaker in that I'll still use the app, but I would happily pay for an app that was this polished that is also ad-free. Oh well. Free's nice, but ad-free is better, IMO.
    * Forces you to register. Well "forces" may be too strong, but it does say it might not give you complete listsings unless you register -- making you feel like you're not getting the full extent of the app. Of course giving an e-mail address makes sense in case you want to send yourself upcoming TV info (a great feature!), but why does it need your real name, birthdate, gender, and all that too? I hate apps like this that make you register info like this for unclear reasons. Doesn't exactly instill me with confidence.
    * Movies - why are they here? I guess some might think the movies section is a nice bonus, but it's the weakest part of the app. I looked up some movies, and it gave me theatres that were WAY too far away -- just too many options. And of course, no way to buy tickets (although they say it's coming). Just about any of the other movie apps in the App Store ("Now Playing" being my favorite) do a MUCH better job with movies than this, so it seems completely unnecessary to include it in this app that's called "i.TV". I would rather have it focus on TV and do it well -- but if the movie part can someday match what "Now Playing" offers (including Metacritic scores), then hey....I won't complain. ;)

Other than those minor quibbles, it's still quite an impressive app that has a lot of potential. So upcoming features include remotely programming your DVR, and watching TV?!?!? I don't see how that's going to be possible -- but that's GREAT if it comes!

10. kilobytedump macrumors member

11. Macgic macrumors 6502

It's called marketing. They want to figure out who the target audience is so that they can make sure they are effectively advertising to a certain age/gender group.

12. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Sure, I assume it's probably for marketing purposes -- but the fact that they don't disclose that upfront makes me uneasy. And why do they need your exact name (I of course didn't give mine), or your exact birthdate for that matter -- can't you just give your age instead? THAT I wouldn't mind. Heck, I'd be happy to answer a ton of questions that would give them even better info, without having to give exact personal info that shouldn't matter to them.

Anyway, I don't want to be targeted with ads! I don't want ads period! Sigh...just give us a paid ad-free version... :D

13. Macgic macrumors 6502

maybe they're gonna put ads selling birthstones or zodiac stuff.....I can see it now a girl pops up on your screen "hi im a scorpio too, click here to meet me"

Now thats something you don't hear too often.

14. dela422o macrumors newbie

yeah this is a great addition to apps, thanks

15. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Has anyone figured out a way to scroll or move quickly to a channel or range of channels? My HD channels start at 700...waaay down the list. Too much scrolling to get there.

16. Vintage Season macrumors member

Deleted: Oops... accidentally posted in the wrong thread.

17. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Yes, just press on the right side of the listing, and you'll see an invisible "scroll bar" pop up, that allows you to go to any point in your list rather quickly.

Also, if you go to preferences, you can choose to hide channels that you never watch, which makes going through them easier too (TIP: It might be quicker to click "hide all" on top, and then selectively choose the channels you actually watch, rather than de-selecting what you don't watch. Since I watch maybe 20 channels max, it was a lot easier to do it that way).

Ok...I'm really liking this app the more and more I use it...

EDIT: Just noticed it's a HUGE battery drain, though. I've had it open for only a little while as I'm customizing it, and I'm already down to a third of my battery already and it's only lunchtime, and I don't even get that far down by the end of most days (unless I'm playing tons of games). Of course, I probably won't ever have it open this long again once I'm done customizing...but still...
    Anyone else notice a huge battery drain using this?

18. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Super Free App

I have to agree with the majority here. This has just replaced 3 apps on my iPhone.
    KickScreen is gone...I can preview the movies I want on i.TV;
    Movies is gone...This app shows the 3 theaters in my area and what is on, with previews.
    What's On is gone...Self Explanatory

This app has everything I need or use in this subject area on a daily basis and is so very very flexible with the hide option. You can hide TV channels and theaters that you do not use. It free's up space by reducing 3 apps to one and who knows what super updates are yet to come.

GREAT JOB i.TV DEV TEAM!!!

http://www.i.tv/

19. MrSoprano macrumors member

Great app! I really like this a lot. I'm just having one problem that I can't seem to figure out. I can not get the Theaters tab to show my local Theaters? I have changed the zip code a few times, but the listings under Theaters are from TX and NM, I'm from NJ lol. If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know. Other then that though, great work on this app.

Oh yeah, if the devs for this app are reading, if you can somehow incorporate a online scheduling to link up with my Tivos at home I would pay top dollar for this app!

20. Rybold thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rybold

With the AOL App though, it took "forever" because it had to open a new Safari browser and download the "webpage." If AOL makes an App that does not require Safari, I would give it a try.

I never registered my name. I just clicked to skip that. I think all I gave them was my zip code.
    Doesn't everyone have a second, fake, email address though just because of spam junk mail?

I don't think AT&T wants to contribute the bandwidth to allow watching television! Programming your DVR may be a possibility, since we already have secured email and other secured features already on our phones.

21. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

I don't see why some of you guys are so paranoid about registering your name and birthdate. It's not like you can have your identity stolen with that info. I mean, what if I put in a fake name, and used YOUR name instead? You know what would happen? Nothing.

22. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Actually, you'd be amazed at what identity thieves can do with just a name and birthdate. I happened to have read a lot about identity theft, and it's some scary, scary stuff. Sure, a thief eventually needs more info (like a social security number) to do more damage -- but a name and birthdate is where it all starts, and the most clever of them can gain a lot more access from there.

But that's beside the point.

Now...do I actually think there's anything to worry about with the makers of i.TV using my info for nefarious purposes?? NO! They seem like a perfectly legit company. However, I'm always curious when things like this DO ask for names and exact birthdates. What are they using this info for? For what purpose? It's more a curiosity than anything. They have our names in a database, and...then what? It just sits there??

23. diesel macrumors 6502a

I have also replaced "What"s On" with this app for an electronic tv guide.

However, this app won't be replacing "Now Playing". Now Playing is still the best movie app out there.

24. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Thank you sir or madam.

25. slapppy macrumors 65816

You guys are right. This app is perfect. I can favorite my channels and quickly see what on for the night if I feel like watching TV. Nice!!