Awful screen on my 24" alu iMac (photo)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Adidas Addict, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Well this has gotten gradually worse over the last year and feel its gonna have to be a call to applecare tomorrow. Its the dark/light streaks coming from both top corners of the screen and right down both left and right edges is looks rubbish, hope you can see from the photo. Its only really noticeable on a light background so I just had plain white to show the problem. Its almost like its grubby behind the screen (between lcd and glass front). Anyone had this before? Really hope apple care can sought it out with the minimum of fuss......

Attached Files:

2. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

Another person on this forum had a similar effect on the top of his screen and it turned out to just be dust on the other side of the glass. You may want to remove the glass and take a look (and clean if necessary).

3. Adidas Addict thread starter macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Was thinking about grabbing a plunger and trying that, but its got well over a year applecare remaining and I don't wanna bugger that up.

4. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

If you bring it into an Apple Store they should be able to just remove the dust for you without voiding any warranties.

5. Feng Shui macrumors regular

Most (if not all) iMac screens are like that. Your screen looks better than most. Mine is worse than that.

6. RealaT macrumors regular

Are you kidding? I've never seen an iMac with streaks like that on it.

7. YuriVoorhak macrumors regular

Yup, grime behind the glass panel. As a smoker, this is pretty much a continual process for me. =/ Popping the glass off is pretty straightforward with any sizable suction cup, but make sure to pull it straight off, or you might bend the guide pins.

8. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

Lolwut? :eek:

I've never seen an iMac screen do that everrrrr....

9. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

If your glass is that bad, I cannot imagine what the inside of that iMac looks like. Maybe you should stop smoking in front of your machine.

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

11. LagunaSol macrumors 601

LagunaSol

O RLY?

I've never seen an iMac screen like that. We have two 3-year-old iMacs in the house and a new 24" model. No problems with any of the displays.

FUD Different.

12. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

The grime in mine is inside the LCD itself, I know because I have popped off the plasty glass of the iMac.

I have read of people sending them in for replacement only to find the grime building up inside the LCD again after several months.

The main cause of this grime inside the LCD panel itself is the bad panel build (cheap) and the internal fans sucking in dirty air.

I may go down the Mac pro route to avoid this problem....

13. LessThanNickel macrumors newbie

Actually, it is the LCD screen itself, not the glass ... my first 24" iMac had really bad streaks, and so, thinking that it just needs to be cleaned, I took it to a dealer. He removed the glass, cleaned it. The streaks were on the LCD screen itself. I still have a year left on the Applecare and he said that it could be replaced (the screen); I have since bought the latest iMac (lusting for the ATI 4850), and at first, it was flawless. a few months later and I'm beginning to see the streaks, though not as bad as the first one. Could it be bad Quality Control at the factory?