Awww man, they cut the educational discount on the Apple store by 50%?!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vader1990, Oct 14, 2008.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

If you look at the new models of the Macbook's and Macbook Pro's, you will notice that they cut the educational discount on these guys by 50%!! What gives. we used to get $200 off the Macbook pro's and $100 for the Macbooks. Now we get $100 on the low end pro and $50 on the low end macbook :( :( :(

WHY?!?!?!?!?

/rant

anyway I think i'll pick up the low end pro from the apple store this weekend anyway...YAY!

2. snake101st macrumors regular

I think its kind of insulting, really. Its a huge difference... The student discount before was great, 5% off the pro isnt very much. Especially when you add on tax.

3. stark4 macrumors 6502

does the edu discount work on refurbished macbooks?

4. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

If your school/university sells macbooks, it is almost always cheaper to go through them. If not, then I guess Apple would be your only choice, in which you have to take what they give you.

And no, student discount does not work for refurbs. You can choose whichever you want, but can't double up on the savings.

5. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

In Canada, we still get $200 off MBPwith the edu discount!

6. JWest macrumors 6502

Yah, Apple seems to think it's a good idea to screw their biggest demographics.

No matte display means the pro's are likely to be driven away, and a crappy educational discount means the students will be driven away.

Gee, nice plan Apple.

Guess we'll be seeing more people abusing the ADC discount system...

7. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Yeah, the halved the student/teacher discount because they don't have enough cash reserves.............. oh wait.....

Isn't 20 BILLION in cash enough, Apple??? You have to fleece the education market too?

8. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Don't be so sure. Perhaps the ADC discounts have been cut as well?

9. StayAlive macrumors newbie

Could this be a result of people abusing the Education Discount system?

10. Vivid.Inferno macrumors 6502

Vivid.Inferno

Yeah not so much. It's been cut here in Canada too, which pisses me off :mad:

100 doesn't sound like much, but to a student who needs a new laptop, and is just breaking even paying for gas/insurance/parking, 100 is a lot.

11. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

They haven't.

12. Delum macrumors newbie

I just checked mine on the store and it still shows up as 200?

Maybe it's only some schools?

I'm in the US too...

13. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

what school did you select?

14. Delum macrumors newbie

15. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

16. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Just tried it... the discount is only $100 (like all the others I've seen)

This is some real bs:mad: This won't even cover sales tax. Thanks Apple.

17. Delum macrumors newbie

Uh, It's two hundred for me.

Attached Files:

18. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

They're referring to the baseline MBP's, which used to be $1799, now it's only $100 off.

19. Delum macrumors newbie

Ah, my bad, I ignore baseline by default XD

I guess I fail reading comprehension

20. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

Thats another reason to upgrade to the 2.53.

Another thing you can do is sign up at military.com and then go to benefits. You don't have to be military to get the discount but it also works for veterans, retirees, and current military/reserve.

The discounts are comparable to edu and sometimes better. Might be worth a shot.

***************UPDATE******************

Discount is not as good. Sorry

Attached Files:

21. Polymira macrumors regular

Anyone who heads into an Apple store or student store tomorrow, find out the student price IN store and post here if possible ...

That way we know if it's online only (would make sense if you had to show student id to get higher discount)

22. Encanto macrumors regular

This the reason why I m going for a refurbished. I knwo I know the new upgrades and new desing is alright but I think for video editing the old version will do just fine. Anyone with me?

23. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I'm cutting HD footage on an "old" version (previous 17" rev), and it's just fine. That being said, I ordered a new 15" because I just like the design, the promise of the feel, the newer graphics, and I just like having new stuff around the house. So yes, the last gen will be just fine for video editing.

Oh, and for those of you who say "The pros will be driven away due to lack of matte display"...we're pros...we'll get used to it. We have fancy schmancy HD broadcast monitors to check our pro stuff on before we go to air or print with it. If Apple decides to go glossy with all their gear, it doesn't mean we're going to suddenly move to Adobe Premiere and Adobe Lightroom...:rolleyes:

24. Banacek macrumors 6502

Damn, that sucks. The education discount has been getting less and less over the years, but Apple isn't the only one doing that.

25. sal macrumors 6502

How can people abuse it? The only way I can see how people can abuse this is if they buy multiple machines and sell them off for full price, HOWEVER, anyone who has ever tried this realizes that apple limits to how many machines you can buy per year(one laptop and one desktop PER year)

Apple is very generous for providing the 10% discount on all machines, I can't think of any other reason besides GREED that they would decrease it to 5% it doesn't make sense. Now if the other 5% is going to poor schools or worthy causes, I might be willing to overlook this.

completely agree. please read my current setup for video editing(on the old MBP) and what my setup would have to look like if I were to purchase the new macbook Pro
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=6420125#post6420125

basically, it means more adapters/cables. I don't think apple wants us video editors to work on MBP's.