AZ Shooter was a Bush Hater

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by HyperX13, Jan 18, 2011.

1. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/16/us/16loughner.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&pagewanted=3&adxnnlx=1295272816-mzPTbiXmgfYK5d56DmiDjg

Hopefully this will curb liberals like Olbermann from spewing their vitriol.

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Yeah, that'll happen the same day Limbaugh starts talking sense.

3. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

4. Kauai macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

This is in 06 and Bush's popularity went even further downward since then (to a low of 25% in 08, with 71% of people disapproving of his job as President.)

A general dislike of Bush was fairly bipartisan.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Virtually every human being on the planet couldn't stand Bush being on the TV. This means absolutely nothing.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

His hatred for Bush says nothing as the entire world and even his own country (aside from a few couts) hated him.

7. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The Tea Party claims they didn't like the big spender Bush either. So you've offered more in common between the shooter and the Tea Party.

Of course as I've stated repeatedly, I don't think the Tea Party is at all responsible.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Swing... and a miss.

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Not really. A big difference exists between political approval and personal hate. All the 'hatred' stuff is just a lot of liberal anger. Both sides do it and love to blame everything on the President. It's the same crap as: how Obama isn't an American citizen, 9/11 was a conspiracy, McCain is actually a robot, the Pope it a Nazi, the war was all about oil, etc.

About half of people saw him 'favorably'
    http://www.pollingreport.com/BushFav.htm

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

No way this shooting is still Palin's fault for using crosshairs on a map. :rolleyes:

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

There are quite a few birthers who truly believe Obama is not an American citizen, and that he is a Muslim. It goes well beyond the usual lampooning.

13. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

The birth certificate argument is BS and just one of the components conspiracy theorists use. I would be willing to bet that most people who believe he was not born in America also believe that 9/11 was a conspiracy as well. No other President has been given **** like he has over birth. Remember the Supreme Court rejected to hear any arguments or consider this on numerous occasions. As far as religion, who cares if he is a Muslim? We aren't electing The Pope here...

I'm not a fan of all of the man's stances but I don't think he is a bad guy nor do I think Former President Bush was a bad guy. Some people make politics very personal which is outright ignorant.

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Obama has endured more questions over his citizenship and religion than any other president. He is also the first US president who is not a white man. It doesn't take an exceptional intellect to make the connection.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'd say purposely starting an illegal war based on what were known by him at the time to be lies, would make you a bad guy.

Same goes for crafting policies that killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children (Clinton).

Bad guys.

16. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

The guys was a nutjob, plain and simple. Politics had VERY little to do with this.

17. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I partially agree. The primary cause of the shooting was the insanity of the shooter. But the choice of victim reulted from a mentally unbalanced person being influenced by politcal rhetoric. It does call into question the kind of language some polticians are indulging in.

18. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Have there been things found that definitely link him to any type of political rhetoric, emails, journal, etc...Or is this assumption being made because Giffords was singled out for criticism by a either another politician or political commentator? It is not clear to me that any kind of link like that exists.

Personally, I think this guy was just an unbalanced time bomb waiting to go off. If it was not that day, and that group of people it would have been another group of people on another day.

19. Lord Blackadder, Jan 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011

Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Loughner asked Giffords a question at a previous rally a couple years ago, so it's possible that he's seen her as a potential target for some time. Loughner was obviously influenced by a wide variety of violent political rhetoric.

I agree, to an extent. But if he was, as you say, a loose cannon, it makes sense that certain brands of aggressive political language would find a special resonance in his twisted mind. I won't go so far as to say that the Tea Party are directly responsible, but some of their more outrageous imagery and language certainly falls into the category of the type of things Loughner was listening to and repeating.

20. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

News Flash: The Tea Party despises Bush.

Wow... :rolleyes:

21. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

That does not really mean that he was inspired or motivated by the rhetoric of others. It merely means he is one unbalanced individual that was not happy with his local elected representative.

You say "Obviously". Where is this obvious, undeniable proof that the likes of Beck, Palin, Hannity, et.al. influnenced this persons decision to target Giffords? I am talking hard proof. Journal entries that detail his influences by these people, heck, Id even settle for internet bookmarks he may have had that lead to other web sites where people single out Giffords for her political stance. From the sound of it, there does not seem to be anything of the sort, and without any evidence of that type, this whole argument that the extreme right is to blame falls apart.

I'm not so sure I can agree with that. The guy was sick, irrational, insane, and unbalanced. Who knows what type of sick twisted fantasy his mind has been building for him the past months/years. To try and blame heated political rhetoric for this person rampage is a stretch. I'll give a little bit and say that it may have had SOME influence, and may have been ONE of the trigger, but again without bonafide evidence that he paid attention to or listened to any of the political commentators/politicians who are getting blamed for this is a big stretch.
    Heck, someone down at the corner bar complaining about this politician could have provided just as much motivation.

I think really what this is all about is just trying to rationalize the irrational. People are trying to find some reason or scapegoat for what is ultimately the irrational act of a truly insane individual, and I don't think that can be done.

22. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

23. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I just wish people would stop throwing darts at each other and just do some real investigating instead of a blind pin the tail on whichever party member you feel is a jackass.

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Aren't the last two Examples actually true?