Azureus freezes - how do I remove all of its components and reinstall?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zen, Aug 23, 2007.

1. zen macrumors 68000

zen

I've been a long-time user of Azureus without a hitch on my PowerBook G4.

Recently, probably the last 1-2 months, I've come back to my machine to find Azureus running but apparently frozen - the torrents are active but have upload and download speeds of 0. The Finder's clock has stopped. The mouse mouse and the screen saver works, but then as soon as I try to click on anything in Azureus or the Finder, I get the spinning beachball of death and have to force my PowerBook to shut down by holding the power button.

I updated Azureus to that new version (Vune or whatever it is called), but the same problem happens. It's all fine and downloading/uploading properly until it suddenly stops.

So I'm guessing the easiest thing is to strip all of the Azureus components out of the system and reinstall.

Can someone tell me what files I need to delete? Has anyone else had this strange problem with Azureus?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i haven't had any problems.

easiest way to totally get rid of it is to do a search in finder for it and see what comes up. and then delete what is part of the app. won't be much. probably just the app itself and a .plist file.

or use something like appzapper to find the files for you.

or just delete the prefs/.plist file and see if that helps.

3. Diaresi macrumors regular

Delete the folder:

/Library/Application Support/Azureus

and that will get rid of all the configuration files :)

4. zen thread starter macrumors 68000

zen

Thanks - I'll try that and see how it goes!

Incidentally, is there any advantage in using that version 3.whatever? The blue interface thing is all a bit peculiar (I switch it to Advanced every time, but it still has a big blue bar).

5. chuckiehina macrumors member

Actually, with ver. 3 it is more like adware, always trying to sell you something. I'm sticking with 2.5.4, which is commerical free.

6. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

AppDelete

You could navigate and find the associated files for each specific program you want to delete, or you could just use AppDelete [it collects all the associated program files linked with the program, then puts everything in the trash].

7. Quboid macrumors 6502

Search for it in the finder, delete the files that comes up and you're cool.

8. Diaresi macrumors regular

View > Untick "Seach Bar" and "Tab Bar" at the bottom

Then Azureus > Preferences... > Interface (click the little arrow) > Start > Tick "Start in Advanced View (AZ 2.x)"

Like old now :D

3.x offers some improvements like the new Auto-Speed and the ability to add an ipfilter URL/File (and so doing away with the need for safepeer).