B-52 Bomber Accidentally Armed With 6 Nuclear Cruise Missiles

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Sep 6, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

The Seattle Times

Soon to be flying over a city near you. :D

2. bartelby macrumors Core

How the hell can you mistakenly load Nuclear weapons on to a plane?:confused::confused:

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

During the cold warm (and probably still) there were always at least 3 on patrol around the north pole and pacific rim.

so one flew over the continental US for a while rather than Canada or Alaska. Big deal.

I know, I know, population density and all. But still. How many other mistakes like these are made that we don't hear of?

4. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

It seems there is a commander that needed to be a little more familiar with the guidelines and treaties that governed his career field.

I guess he won't have that problem any longer.

5. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Yeah, and it made sense during the cold war. Pretty bad-assed, actually—a decades long air-siege around a country on the other side of the planet.

But I think the issue here is that it was a mistake. That's (arguably) more dangerous than a situation that is clear policy and well known.

6. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

It's as easy as 1,2,3......4,5,6. :D

7. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

rather than looking at the codes on the warheads, someone on the ground was too busy looking at his/her fingers to get the number right

8. CortexRock macrumors 6502

We got us a Broken Arrow

"I don't know what's more worrying: the fact that we've lost a nuclear weapon; or the fact that it happens so often we have a codeword for it!" :D

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

10. Queso macrumors G4

I reckon it was Al-Qaeda!! Quickly, invade Iran before the terrists try it again!!

11. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

12. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

It was probably some young airman who tagged the wrong bombs. He is probably in a world of #@$* right now. I don't know how this stuff gets leaked out. If I were the AF, I would have kept my mouth shut.

13. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

"Oh, look at that desert country making plutonium. Ooops! I pressed the release button!"

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

If I understand the deal correctly, they were supposed to be missiles without the warheads. "Oops, wrong store-room."

The policy that was said to be violated was, I imagine, instituted at the end of the Cold War. We had those critters in the air around the country for the best part of forty years...

'Rat

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

16. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

I'm from the age group that did such things as "duck and cover", and listened to the weekly testing of the air raid sirens every friday. Having a dad or uncle who was a civil defense volunteer was truly a mark of honor in the nice suburban neighborhoods.

Still, the idea that this happened is just a tad disturbing, even to one as jaded as myself.

You might like a movie called "Fail Safe", arguably one of the best cold war movies ever made. One little mechanical glitch and,,, well, see for yourself. Best for late night viewing.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Incredible incompetence, or one heck of a conspiracy. I've heard both. Gonna go with incompetence though, because it makes more sense. Both are pretty disturbing though.

18. bartelby macrumors Core

I'm inclined to agree with you...

19. takao macrumors 68040

takao

and you lost quite a few of those in the 40 years or else you wouldn't have a code word for it ;) (i saw a tv report about the topic a week ago or so and it was quite stunning)

luckily it didn't happen when they were firing test rounds because that would have been really bad ..

on air raid sirens: they still get tested every saturday noon around here (thinking about it .. very likely since WWII)
    and Fail safe is really a good movie .. both the original and the TV version from 2000(?)

20. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This cracked me up when I read about it in the paper. Genius!

OMGWTFBBQ BROKEN ARROW! BROKEN ARROW!

21. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

What a Blast!

I thought they actually make the nuclear versions look the same as the regular versions on purpose. Its done so that pilots / ground crew don't get cold feet and muck up the fireworks. I may be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure theres only a handful of people that know which version was pulled from inventory and placed on the loading ramp.

Right now there's a 19 year old forklift driver and his boss on their way to Guantanamo :eek: :D ;)

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Promoted, more likely. This is the military, after all.

23. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i hate to be the bearer of news gentlemen

but if the USAF wanted to have kept this secret, it would have

this info has been released for of 2 reasons
    1) inner USAF politics
    2) scare campaign

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Naw, the grunt was probably reprimanded. His higher up though, who's fault it probably actually was, was most definitely promoted. Unless he talked, in which case he'll be "retiring" early.

And yet all I can think of it that terrible movie.