B&B to Couple: You're Wrong, Unnatural

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Feb 25, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh man- I guess it was going to happen at some point. Amazing how nasty people can be.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2011/02/24/BB_To_Couple_Youre_Wrong_Unnatural/

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

They will here too. It's a public accommodation.

4. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Oh, for God's sake, burn their Bibles and take away their B&B license.

5. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

Or burn their Bed & Breakfast and erect a dance club in its place..

6. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

yeah - a gay dance club!

7. puma1552, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

puma1552 macrumors 601

8. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Private citizens should not be forced by government to accommodate people they wish not to accommodate within their own home or private business for that matter. Period.

If two women want to open up a B&B for single women guests only (because they don't feel safe having a strange man in the house) that should be 100% their right to choose. If the same women happen to be homosexuals and would like to open up their B&B exclusively to other gays and lesbians as a service to offer to the homosexual community, that should be 100% their right to choose. It's their private residence, it's there private business. 'Public accommodation' is a BS term.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What's a private business? Is a small hotel or motel or B&B a private business? Would you support discrimination based on race in this exact same circumstance, for instance?

10. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

It depends on how you define 'support.' Any person discriminating based upon race is disgusting. I think racism is a deplorable act and I think that the community members in that area should make it a point not to do business with anyone who openly restricts access to their business based on race.

Now, with that said. I strongly believe that the business owner has the complete right to be a racist ******* if they want to be. As long as they are not hurting anyone, restricting anyone's liberties, etc. by their actions, I think they are perfectly ok to simply prevent someone of a different race, different sexual orientation, different sex, etc. from utilizing their private services on private property. Their right as a private business owner to decide who can enter their building, who can do business with them, etc. I think is an essential component of a free society.

Furthermore, not all discrimination is bad. My examples above regarding the two women and two lesbian women business owners are just two of thousands of examples I could come up with where discrimination is completely within the eye of the beholder. If I was a man who wanted to stay in their B&B but they would not allow me entrance, it wouldn't cross my mind to sue them for sex discrimination. I would accept their right as a business owner to refuse service to anyone and I would search for an alternative source of housing. I do not have a RIGHT to enter their place of business and DEMAND that they service my needs.

If it was a particularly offensive and indefensible example of discrimination which I found to be personally deplorable, I might spend a bit more time informing people of the community of my experience, post reviews of the business online, tell other service providers what exactly was going on so that the business owner would be pressured to change their ways either monetarily or socially.

11. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Fivepoint, discrimination is still discrimination and this manager isn't even hiding it. If he this openly refuses to accomodate a civil union ceremony by slandering a third or forth of his possible clientele then that's a very bad move for his business.

Gay and lesbian couples are very fond of staying or even celebrating at a B&B, and a good private business owner would make the most of it.

Fine, the manager who runs the TimberCreek B&B doesn't like gays but he's committing business suicide insulting refused customers like that.

He could've just told the couple he was booked solid.

12. rdowns, Feb 26, 2011

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Fivepoint, is this your vision of America? How else can you explain your support of discrimination?

[​IMG]

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Fivepoint does not care about equal treatment in public accommodations. He thinks discrimination is fine and dandy. He's said so many times.

Yep= that's exactly what he wants to see happen.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Thank you, Mr. Paul.

And tell your wife I love her fish sticks.

15. likemyorbs, Feb 26, 2011

likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

If it were done your way, jim crow laws would still be around. Discrimination should be and is illegal, and that's a good thing. We would still have stores and restaurants that say "whites only", that's not my definition of a free society. You need to rethink your stance on this because you are wrong. Do you also believe a developer can choose not to sell houses to minorities and legalize housing discrimination? Thus creating the potential for all white towns like the one in south Africa?
    Link: http://www.stormfront.org/forum/t601304/

And while you're there check out the comments in the forum. Hope there aren't any business owners on there...

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Not only that, but he thinks the government should be able to to take citizens private property and give it to developers. And when the citizens fight back, he calls them thugs. Amazing.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1101540

Precisely the reason I hate Ron and Rand Paul. They are both completely insane.

17. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

That's a lie. Jim Crow laws dealt almost completely with PUBLIC GOVERNMENTAL discrimination. I fully and 100% the changes that came out of the civil rights movement. My position is the same as Rand Paul. Only the section referring to private business is an over-reach. What I do not support is the government telling private business owners who they MUST serve... or in this case who they MUST allow into their homes.

Hmm... I wonder how long it will take before someone here calls me a racist. If history is any indication, not long. Some people have no clue...

18. Andeavor macrumors 6502

How very sad for him.

19. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Another lie (although a completely trollish off-topic one). If Lee didn't have me blocked he would have seen that I completely deplore eminent domain. The only think I don't support is thug intimidation tactics against public officials which he described to us and was seemingly proud of in that same thread.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He is not concerned with right or wrong. His only concern, as evidenced by his thousands of posts here, is purity of his ideology.

21. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

It's much easier to simply attack and vilify your opponent than have a rational discussion with them. I understand. It's easier to call someone a racist than to discuss the issues.

:p It's kind of sad to watch really. Hope you guys are enjoying your weekend so far!

22. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Discrimination is not up for discussion. Any incentive thereof speaks volumes about one's moral approach.

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Slippery words. These two are not the same things. The civil rights movement didn't achieve its goals without federal law. I'll ask the same question that Rachel Maddow asked of Rand Paul:

"Do you think that a private business has the right to say 'we don't serve black people'?"

Try not to dodge or backtrack as Rand Paul did. You may consult the Commerce Clause if you wish.

24. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Or "We don't serve homosexuals"? Answer both questions fivepoint.

25. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

While we're at it how about "we don't serve Jews or those with mental or physical disabilities".